Switching From Apple to Linux

Adoven1103

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone!! I am fully in the Apple ecosystem iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro security of my data is vary important to me. I have been looking at all the Linux based software and it has peaked my interest but I am not familiar with it. Is there a good Linux OS for a phone? I will not use anything Google based because of there shady way of doing things. Apple was the best alternative at the time but there hands are not clean either. I run VPNs also. My browser is FireFox because they care about the community and growing it. The phone thing is the only thing that is holding me back at this moment any info would help. I am working on how to use programing (python) to give me more control over everything I do but Apple is not the best place to work on it because they like everything to work in there own system. Like a drug dealer a lot of my stuff is Apple base so trying to quit them will be hard and time consuming. I want to have control over everything I do not a big corporation.

Is there a good Linux OS for a phone?
No, not really. Android is a stripped down Linux, but your aversion to Google rules that out. At one time Canonical tried to make a do-it-all system, called Ubuntu Touch, for phones and tablets, but it never got very far. Another group has picked it up and is trying to keep it alive, but it has very limited hardware that it will work on (see UBports for more info on that).

Apple is not the best place to work on it because they like everything to work in there own system.
Yep. But that is what Canonical wanted to do too, even though it didn't pan out for them. Microsoft wants the same thing, but they have also given up on phones, it seems. Companies love to monopolize if they can! :( Oh, I think their word was "convergence" instead of "monopolize."

Like a drug dealer a lot of my stuff is Apple base so trying to quit them will be hard and time consuming. I want to have control over everything I do not a big corporation.
Yep, that's it exactly. I was tied to Windows for a long time, like most folks I guess. And it is still necessary at times, but rarely for me now. I regularly use 5 computers (3 laptops and 2 desktops) and only one has Windows. I'll never own a Mac unless someone gives me one.... they are far overpriced, IMO.

Welcome to the forums! Good luck!

Cheers

There is, however, a Linux phone about to be released.

0cd7RxV.gif

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke)

G'day @Adoven1103 and welcome to linux.org :)

One of our well-known Members, @CptCharis , found this in February.

https://news.softpedia.com/news/pur...CEEUm_RNS2U_4yXH48sx3toRjSf39tNKCBA6RVFxOdUGg

Further, you can type in your Search Engine's field (I use Google)

librem 5

and get all the latest info.

So maybe as early as October.

I am hoping to buy one, I just have to cast a spell on a couple of lizards and turn them into gold coin. Last time I tried I ended up with lead poisoning.

Cheers all

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Adoven, I'm a lot like you. I am almost fully enveloped in the Apple ecosystem. All my family's phones are Apple, we have a few iPads, AirPods and Apple TVs. But all my computers are Linux. With the exception of Apple not working with Linux, this setup is the best of both worlds. My phones, iPads and TVs are protected by Apple and my computers are protected by Linux. Yes, Apple is a big corporation, but they have a vested interest in keeping you, your phone and your data protected. I too would love to have Linux on my phone, but since Google is the closest thing to Linux on a phone, I can't have it. And Android is not really Linux. It uses the Linux kernel but all else is propriatery crap they invented. Some of it is based off of open source software, but that's it, it's based off of but is itself closed source.

Members online