Switch to LTS in Antergos

lekkerlinux

Reaction score
Credits
I am new to Arch based systems and was just wondering, if I want to switch to the LTS Linux kernel as the default kernel how do I do that?

I found the following command in some article
sudo pacman -S linux-lts
sudo pacman install linux-lts-headers

Is this all it takes?

The standard kernel on Antergos works really well but I have really old hardware that runs well on the LTS kernel and don't need the frequent updates from the standard Antergos or Arch version.

Antergos died,
There will be some updates and then you just have arch.

Antergos died,

Thanks for the confirmation! I also understood the Antergos press release to mean it will continue to work and update from Arch directly. That's the reason I was asking about changing from the stable kernel to the LTS kernel.

I use the Linux 5.1.3 kernel right now and it works great, but some people recommend using the LTS kernel because it's more stable.

I can boot into the LTS kernel in the advanced options in the boot loader, but I was wondering how do I make the LTS kernel my default kernel instead of the latest stable version?

I have Antergos with Budgie desktop and it works so great that I won't want to change to Manjaro if I don't have too. I have been reading for years that people that are a bit slow should not use anything based on Arch. I have had too much trouble with Ubuntu 14.04 and Debian 9 and even Lubuntu 18.04 and find this Arch based distro too be both stable and user-friendly.

So far so good, very good!

Yes, I got the news today. As I understand it, my Antergos system will continue to be updated directly from the Arch repository.

I want to change the default kernel from Stable to LTS, because I have a five year old PC. As far as I know the easiest way I could do that is to use the grub-customizing utility.

As it stands I can boot into the LTS kernel from the grub menu but the default kernel is the stable kernel.

I have also read that one can use sudo apcman -S linux-lts and sudo pacman install linux-lts-header to amke the LTS kernel the one that will load by default, but I am not sure if I also need to update or change the grub menu.

Any ideas, please?

Antergos died,
I have the stable kernel and the LTS kernel on my Antergos system. If I use sudo pacman -R linux will this remove the stable kernel and just leave the LTS kernel? Do I also need to do something with the grub menu?

I just want to use the LTS kernel because I have old hardware and don't need the frequent updates of the standard Arch kernel.

Lekker can you give us the output for

Code:
pacman -Q | grep linux

Cheers

Wizard

Lekker can you give us the output for

Code:
pacman -Q | grep linux

Cheers

Wizard
I presume that those are two commands? I tried the one after the other and got command not found in the end.

I think that sudo pacman -R linux will remove the stable kernel but may break the grub menu. The stable kernel is used by default by Antergos and it had updated three times this week. However everything works beautifully as never before.

The Antergos team will in future update the system to remove all their content and would end up updating from Arch only. The base is Arch anyway, so would probably continue to work fine.

archlinux-appstream-data 20190424-1
archlinux-keyring 20190123-2
libutil-linux 2.33.2-1
linux 5.1.4.arch1-1
linux-api-headers 5.0.7-1
linux-firmware 20190514.711d329-1
linux-lts 4.19.45-1
linux-lts-headers 4.19.45-1
util-linux 2.33.2-1

I hope this is what you were revering to, Wizard.

For better posting of images, see my tip at Forum Assistance, here

https://www.linux.org/threads/posting-screenshots-at-this-site-read-this-for-easy-way.21722/

I hope this is what you were revering to, Wizard.

It is ... Ta (ta pronounced "tar" is Aussie, Kiwi (New Zealand) and Pommie (British) for thank you)

First time using sudo (got read "the riot act" about responsibility, :) - that is a once-off, but do bear it in mind)

There is a really sweet kernel utility that Manjaro have, I am going to swing over to my Antergos KDE and see if there is an equivalent.

Wiz

There is a really sweet kernel utility that Manjaro have

Thanks so much for the trouble Wiz, I was thinking the same thing about the Manjaro kernel switcher. I do have the grub-customizer utility in the software center but don't know if it is reliable.

The other issue is that Antergos will be updated soon to just update from Arch repo only and all the Antegos stuff will be removed. I think I will wait for that to happen and see to go from there.

If all of this doesn't work, I think I will just switch to Manjaro with all of it's nifty extra programs for the novice user, like me.

Most importantly is that I really love Arch, much better than the Debian/Ubuntu Yeti distros I have used this year. (Yeti=Abominable snowman) No offense to anyone, but that is just my own experience.

Fair call, friend :), I enjoy a trip or two underneath the arches, as well.

Not quite so ... as well as Arch itself, you will have access to the AUR (Arch User Repository), a community-driven facility separate to Arch's Repositories. Many packages from the AUR make their way eventually into the Arch Repos.

I will elaborate more soon.

Wiz

Fair call, friend :), I enjoy a trip or two underneath the arches, as well.

Not quite so ... as well as Arch itself, you will have access to the AUR (Arch User Repository), a community-driven facility separate to Arch's Repositories. Many packages from the AUR make their way eventually into the Arch Repos.

I will elaborate more soon.

Wiz
Yes, Wizard I have installed a few programs from the "community" which I understand to mean AUR.

Sorry for breaking the rules mate, but I am high right now. Three o'clock in the morning here and I have just tried the live session of Manjaro Gnome. I have been using Antergos Budgie for a week and it's much simpler. Gnome is more like a toy shop or something. Well at least it works in the live environment, in case my Antergos break after the metamorphosis into pure Arch.

Thanks for all your advice and help, it is really appreciated.

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

The OP also has a Thread here to which the following applies:
https://www.linux.org/threads/power-save-in-budgie.23605/

The OP also has Threads at Antergos, under the name debiandonder, addressing the same issues, and they are current as recently as a few hours ago.

https://forum.antergos.com/topic/11759/power-saving-setting

and

https://forum.antergos.com/topic/11772/lts-kernel

@lekkerlinux and to other newer Members - while we can appreciate your enthusiasm to get your question answered or a problem fixed, we cannot be mindreaders and a lot of people can spend a lot of time researching a matter that is already solved or on the way to being solved elsewhere.

If you are not getting the answers you need elsewhere, please try to have your Thread "there" closed before coming to us, and the same applies in reverse, out of consideration to other website's helpers.

Thank you for your consideration.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online