Support for Type 1 fonts in Linux?

M

Meridien

Linux newbie here, so waving hi. :)

Now that I've retired from working in Publishing Hell I'm looking at moving from Mac to Linux for personal computing. The problem I've run into is that I still do page layout stuff for non-profits, and have to be able to use Type 1 fonts. None of us are in a position to buy OpenType replacements, there are too many. Is there a Linux distro that has native Type 1 font support, or a third party application that does the same? I'm currently checking out Mint 15, which doesn't have this.
TIA.

A default Debian installation has Type1 (gsfonts) and I believe I have also seen them in other distributions.

A default Debian installation has Type1 (gsfonts) and I believe I have also seen them in other distributions.

Thank you. :) Browsing the openSUSE documentation, I found a reference to Type 1s in the font installation instructions, so that's two distros to look at. Debian looks a bit scary for a lifelong pointer-and-clicker, though.

...It is quite easy...

I hope so. :) I have the time to learn, now. I did install the PowerPC version on an old Mac G4 but the hard drive died soon afterwards so I didn't get anywhere with it. I bought an HP workstation refurb for Linux as I don't need mobile computing any more.