Superuser privileges

newtolinux

Reaction score
Credits
How do you get superuser privileges in Linux? I have updates that I can't download and install because I don't have superuser privileges. One download asks me to manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. I type it into terminal and it says I don't have superuser privileges. What can I do to correct the problem?

dpkg hints at Debian/Buntu related so is it not sudo everything ?

Ummm, never mind. I just ran the updates again, and they downloaded and installed with no problem. I don't know what I did but the updates installed. I'm still new to Linux and haven't really played around with it much to know the ins and outs of it without destroying everything I have set up or having to re-install it. :)

what distro are you using ? See if you have Timeshift , a lot on here swear by it. I don't have that option so have to be extra cautious with mine.

what distro are you using ? See if you have Timeshift , a lot on here swear by it. I don't have that option so have to be extra cautious with mine.
Mint 20. And I do have Timeshift installed. As I said in my earlier post, I ran the updates again and they installed with no problems. Oh well, as long as everything works, I ain't messing with it. LOL

Just for grins, and not to stomp on anyone else's advice, with Mint (as well as all the *buntu distro), updates are easy on the CLI by running:
Code:
sudo apt update
     followed by
sudo apt full-upgrade

Hi guys! I'm getting the same message again when I try to install updates: manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'. What am I doing wrong? I have superuser privileges because that was the message I got with the prior update message telling me I need those privileges.

@newtolinux - just to be clear again... did you enter

Code:
dpkg --configure -a

OR

sudo dpkg --configure -a
?

It should be the latter.

Wiz

Please remember. Elevated permissions are what the name implies. Permissions that are not normally required, but are needed when it is necessary to make basic changes to the OS and certain applications.

For most Linux distros, using sudo in front of a command will result in elevated permissions after entering your password. Some distros still require a separate root account and separate password. They both work, but there are advantages to sudo.

Ok. Thanks guys. I remember using sudo previously, but I thought it was a permanent command that I wouldn't need to enter every time. Hey, I'm still learning and want to know everything I can about Linux. Is there a Linux book for dummies? Haha. But truthfully if there is one I wouldn't mind getting a copy so I can start tweaking my OS. Thanks, again guys.

Greetings @newtolinux,
Welcome.
I know you will have a ball learning about Linux; I have and I'm just touching the surface.
I have been running Linux Mint 19.3 on this machine. Also, I downloaded LM 20.1 and will start getting acquainted with what it has to offer.
Please do yourself a favor before you go any further and learn to use Timeshift. It will not take long to learn and will pay dividends down the line. It will give you peace of mind when {not if} you screw up something. Make sure you save your Timeshift file to an external drive.
Once again welcome and enjoy learning all about Linux - the finest OS there is!
Old Geezer, Tango Charlie

I remember using sudo previously, but I thought it was a permanent command that I wouldn't need to enter every time.

Nope :)

The "life" on sudo is usually about 5 minutes, then you need to use it again.

There are also different levels of elevated privileges attaching to certain commands, such that you need to use sudo each time you use them, even if only moments apart.

As an example if you were to run

Code:
sudo apt update

and you were to find only 3 updates available that were small and quick to install, you would still have to run (my comments preceded by a hash)

Code:
sudo apt upgrade

#NOT

apt upgrade

You learn these with experience, and there is probably a list out there in cyberspace.

Is there a Linux book for dummies?

There is, actually.

If you Google up (or search engine of your choice)

linux for dummies

you will find there is Linux for Dummies 9th edition available at Amazon. Actually, looks like there is a 10th edition.

The first entry in my search said about Linux for Dummies cheat sheet, and scrolling through that makes for a good read, albeit about Ubuntu, perhaps copy, paste and save it?

HTH

Wizard
BTW - I haven't read the Dummies book, I'm just a dummy with a title who has gathered a lot of experience. :)

Thanks guys for the info. I want to run Linux exclusively as much as possible without using any Microshit product if I can and get a feeling of accomplishment when I run a command and it works! :) I'll be back on here to get more help and info from you guys. Thanks again.

Members online

Latest posts