Suggestions for noob on building a website

Hillbilly H

Reaction score
Credits
A friend of mine asked me to build him a very simple website but i dont even know what questions to ask.
ive looked on the web and it seems that they all want me to download there program. i am leery of downloading programs without references.
Any suggestions?

G'day Mate :)

WordPress.

Seems David G. (@KGIII ) has just gone offline, perhaps for his night in Maine, but he uses WordPress.

I have used it too, and it is pretty straightforward. And free, unless you are running a business, I expect.

Take a look here

https://wordpress.com/

and have a wander.

You can also look at what I started some years ago. It was during the 2 months I spent between when I got thrown out of another website forum and when I started here - haven't made the time since starting helping here to pursue it further, so a work in progress.

https://wizardfromozblog.wordpress.com/blog/

I don't recall having to download, if I recall correctly I just had to build it online in a dedicated area.

David will have more info.

BTW I would get your friend to build it, unless you want to make a rod for your own back, lol.

Chris

Yup. To add to the above, I'd just suggest WordPress and solid hosting.

It has reached the point where I can set up a WordPress site in a half hour.

A friend of mine asked me to build him a very simple website but i dont even know what questions to ask
BTW I would get your friend to build it
I agree with @wizardfromoz... your friend should build the website himself. He knows as much about it as you do, and he probably will not learn if you do it for him.

Weebly has a free tier where you (or he) can use their interface to build a site with no need to download any tools or software. My wife uses it for her business, but otherwise I am not familiar with how it actually works. It's made to be simple, and my wife has been able to work with it without any HTML knowledge.

Last edited:
+1 Weebly

:)...Thank you all!...:)
BTW I would get your friend to build it, unless you want to make a rod for your own back, lol.
I agree with @wizardfromoz... your friend should build the website himself.
LOL They dont have the time or a computer. its a family business and there son who took care of the website past away about 3 years back.
All the website will be is once a week adding/deleting one or two photos and a sale price... :)

A friend of mine asked me to build him a very simple website but i dont even know what questions to ask.
ive looked on the web and it seems that they all want me to download there program. i am leery of downloading programs without references.
Any suggestions?
Lol, don't do it, just tell them to use wordpress, it doesn't cost anything if you let them put word press in the sub domain.

:)...Thank you all!...:)

LOL They dont have the time or a computer. its a family business and there son who took care of the website past away about 3 years back.
All the website will be is once a week adding/deleting one or two photos and a sale price... :)
If its for a business, you should do it and charge them...

My first website so be nice! lol

Last edited:
Mate, more power to you - looking good :)

Chris

Guilty as charged. And I am a southpaw, but do most things right-handed.

I am a southpaw, but do most things right-handed.
LOL me to mostly because Gmaw would slap the bejesus out of me for using my right! ;)
Now back on topic.
is wordpress free or free for one year?
Will he be able to add/remove text from his phone?

is wordpress free or free for one year?

For me it has not cost anything since day one years ago.

David G. may have more information.

Chris

For me it has not cost anything since day one years ago.

Chris
Its pretty common practice web businesses to give away urls with their sub domain for free because it's its own form of advertising, i've had a website on bandcamp for ten years now and they never bother me about anything: they just take a 1/4 of your revenue if you sell your music.

I do not. I know they have a free-forever tier but that may only include a limited amount of bandwidth or disk space, or limited plugins, etc...

I've never used the WordPress services for anything, other than one site (not hosted by them) that used JetPack. It's just something I've never taken the time to play with.

I have thought about setting up an instance of WPMU and letting people set up something similar but with greater control of their data.

Staff online

Members online