Substitute For VM

70 Tango Charlie

Reaction score
Credits
@wizardfromoz @Vrai @captain-sensible @Nik-Ken-Bah
Hello everyone,

I've been thinking quite a bit lately about VMs and have come to this semi-conclusion.
Do you have an old cp laying around that you don't use much anymore?
You do? Great! Make it your substitute for a VM.
By using Gparted you can have as many distributions as you hard drive will hold. Just think of all the things you will learn as you use Gparted. It's an excellent way to learn how the partitioning system works on Linux.

You have nothing to 'muck up' by using it as your test machine for any Linux Distro you want to try.
I'm not completely comfortable with using VMs, or any other stuff on my main machine that I use daily for things that need passwords.

Besides that, you will be making that old machine useful again.

Just some thoughts of a 'crusty' old Geezer.

TC

@wizardfromoz @Vrai @captain-sensible @Nik-Ken-Bah
Hello everyone,

I've been thinking quite a bit lately about VMs and have come to this semi-conclusion.
Do you have an old cp laying around that you don't use much anymore?
You do? Great! Make it your substitute for a VM.
By using Gparted you can have as many distributions as you hard drive will hold. Just think of all the things you will learn as you use Gparted. It's an excellent way to learn how the partitioning system works on Linux.

You have nothing to 'muck up' by using it as your test machine for any Linux Distro you want to try.
I'm not completely comfortable with using VMs, or any other stuff on my main machine that I use daily for things that need passwords.

Besides that, you will be making that old machine useful again.

TC
That is exactly how I roll.
I have a number of "old" machines which I am able to 'play' around with.
So much easier to play around with Linux and experiment with than using your one and only main computer. And it is so easy to come by a 'discarded' PC which can be revitalized. I have 8 or 9 now and will be looking to give away a few old laptops which run perfectly with Linux on them :)

In my experience - operating systems and programs do not run as well in VM's as they do when installed on bare metal hardware. Consequently I don't play around with VM's very much. I just take an old box and install on it!

i was forced into looking into VM i assume you mean install via virtual when looking at laravel ; another learning curve virtualbox and it seemed heavy on resources. I ended up forgetting laravel and have gone for codeigniter 4 with is in beta. I have managed to get it working on live hosting

Thanks for your thoughts. :)
I would like to do that but due to the very limited space in this apartment that is not a feasible proposition. I do have an old plastic brain of the '80's vintage up in the village but when I am up there I am to busy doing things in the garden and around the place.
I know that the HD in it has decided to die in it which means I am going to find one to replace it and also put in the full quota RAM sticks. then it is Oh the joys of bios. May have to take it to my friend Sacha the local computer wiz in this town and owner of computer shop.
Just have to see what comes along. At the moment tied to the apartment because of the restrictions due to the corona virus. :eek::eek:

You don't always have to have a stack of old PCs or laptops, you could have one not so old machine and a stack of hard drives. In may cases, hard drive replacement in a laptop is a little less painful than a desktop, but it's another way.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts