Stuck on Kubernetes install.

Jayv2251

Reaction score
Credits
I'm following along with an online tutorial to install Kubernetes on Ubuntu. This is part of a larger how-to mine cryptocurrency (Monero) on a Kubernetes cluster using XMRig. I got as far as step 4 on Canonical's website attempting to run the command "kubectl get all --all-namespaces". Every time I attempt to do so I receive a "connection to the server localhost:8080 was refused - did you specify the right host or port?"

The Canonical also shows using the "token=$(microk8s kubectl -n kube-system get secret | grep default-token | cut -d " " -f1)
microk8s kubectl -n kube-system describe secret $token" option to retrieve the same information, but I don't see it. Suggestions on what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it?

My first step to troubleshoot this would be the network aspect. Do you have the firewall enabled?

My first step to troubleshoot this would be the network aspect. Do you have the firewall enabled?
To the best of my knowledge, there is no firewall in place. At least at a router level, as I'm using the stock cable company's provided router. Would a firewall prevent me from seeing the randomly generated Kubernetes cluster and port from the computer the server is located on?

Question... I first installed Ubuntu, then installed Kubernetes. I never installed the Ubuntu server services though. Could that cause an issue? Eventually, I'll need to do that, as I can then access the command line on my nodes (old cell phones) from the server. (Actually, when I have a spare moment, I might go ahead and do that anyways knowing I'll need it in the future, my main focus is actually packing and moving..)

Hmm... Your cable company may not allow you to have inbound traffic on that port as they don't want regular customers running servers. (That's one area to explore.) So, if you're trying from the public side (not the LAN) that'd maybe be a cause.

You can check on the machine in question to see if UFW is running, that's 'sudo ufw status' in the terminal.

It may well need to have the server services installed - I've never played with it. I was (and still am) just tossing up a few basic checks you can do. That'll be the limit of my knowledge with this subject.

I'm not sure how the router would actually come into play. From what I'm understanding so far, Kubernetes clusters are "virtual" but take advantage of nodes once they are installed. The "server" is the computer I've just installed Ubuntu onto. So I'm really not understanding why it can't see itself.

FYI... ufw status is inactive.

Members online

Latest posts