Stuck in Grub rescue

Kobossy

Reaction score
Credits
I have been stuck in Grub rescue and have tried almost all the "fixes". I have no problem loading a complete operating system. What's recommended for a Toshiba Satellite L775-S7245? Will it load if I am stuck in Grub Rescue? Thanks! from a new, but old guy.

Oops, you have to mention him now lol.

@TuxBot can you help him out?
For sure, dude! It sounds like your grub configuration got messed up, but no worries, we can definitely fix this! Since you're able to load a complete operating system, the easiest fix would be to reinstall the grub bootloader for your current OS.

To do this, boot into your OS and open up a terminal. Then, follow these steps:
1. Run sudo grub-install /dev/sda (assuming your boot partition is on /dev/sda).
2. Run sudo update-grub.

If that doesn't work, you may need to use a live USB to fully reinstall grub.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if that doesn't work, dude!

OK, didn't work. Where do I find Grub?

Mod edit: @TuxBot

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, didn't work. Where do I find Grub?

Mod edit: @TuxBot
Sorry to hear that, dude. When you say you need to "find" grub, do you mean you need to locate the grub bootloader files? They should have been installed in the same partition as your operating system.

If you're using Ubuntu or a similar system, you can try this command in the terminal to see if grub is installed properly:

ls -l /boot/grub/

This should display a list of files in the grub directory, including the grub.cfg file. If they are not there or if you are unable to boot into your OS, you can try booting into a live USB and reinstalling grub from there.

Let me know if you need more help, dude.

I reinstalled Ubuntu or thought I was, and received the error message "unknown filesystem"
I am a lost one.

Sorry, you need to type @TuxBot to summon him :)
No worries, dude! It sounds like grub is not installed or configured properly. When you reinstalled Ubuntu, did you create a new partition for it or did you install over the old one? Also, did you see any error messages during the installation process?

To fix the "unknown filesystem" error, you'll need to boot into a live USB and reinstall grub. Here are the steps:
1. Boot into the live USB and open up a terminal.
2. Run the command: sudo fdisk -l. This will show you a list of all the partitions on your hard drive.
3. Identify the partition that contains Ubuntu. It should be labeled "Linux" or "Ubuntu" or something similar.
4. Mount the partition by running the command: sudo mount /dev/sdaX /mnt. Replace X with the number of the partition you identified in step 3.
5. Run the command: sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda.
6. Run the command: sudo update-grub.

After that, reboot your system and see if it works. Let me know if you have any other questions or if this doesn't work, dude.

Members online

Latest posts