Stuck at "grub" screen after installing recommended upgrades & rebooting.

Hi Hans, that's great news! :)

... and you're "talking to" a guy whom runs 60 - 70 Linux so I certainly don't begrudge your trying another (or 10).

Be sure you follow the instructions here to enable your firewall, it applies with your Mint.

https://www.linux.org/threads/linuxmint-17-qiana-install-problem.14457/#post-47586

I'll keep Pearl around for a while, I find it quite interesting.

Enjoy your Linux and we'll see you around Forum. You might also make some use of Timeshift, so keep any eye on my Tutorial as it develops.

Cheers

Wizard

Ughhhhh. Guys, I'm about at my wits end. I thought installing and using Mint fixed both the boot-up problems. But, they are back in a slightly different form, plus I am plaqued by permissions becoming restricted on whatever I'm working on.

Permissions
Transferring music from my Pearl partition to my Mint partition: I moved about an eighth of the files with no problem. The next day I try to finish copying my music over - the destination folder has become read-only. I was doing it all from within Mint. Just selecting the pearl partition from inside a file manager window, and pulling the music folders over to my Music folder in Mint.

Same thing with Dropbox - I use it so I can access my files from my desktop and laptop. I've used it fine for weeks. But, now Dropbox cannot be written from Mint.

I have some knowledge about changing permissions through the GUI and even the command line, but this seems like a losing battle. It’s a problem that doesn’t quit. It’s like trying to put out small fires in different places, with the likelihood that wherever I work next, another “fire” will surely spring back up. It’s been happening since I starting using Mint weeks ago. The weirdest thing to me is when I have the permissions initially and then they change.

To get around these permissions problems, I’ve tried reading a lot of articles from the web for making a partition for files to wish to share across platforms within Linux and between them (Mac), but the steps seem to be either out-of-date with my version of software, or there is some other problem that prevents the command lines from working (errors).

Booting:
More freezing of the system. Tried rebooting - I arrive at the grub screen with my choices (Mint, Mac, Pearl), and the only thing that will boot up is Pearl. And that freezes so much I can't work in it. When I select Mint from the grub screen, I get the mint logo for a few seconds, and then the screen goes dark and stays dark. The power button on the monitor blinks, as it does when the monitor has power but receives no signal from the cpu. This has happened to Mint a few times since I've begun using it. I’ve tried every option offered in the grub screen (safe modes and all). Then sometimes, (after hours of attempts) and for reasons unknown to me, it might boot up. But, trying to manage the problems I've had in Linux have become by far the dominant use of my time - just like they used to be when I used Microsoft Windows.

Now I am at a “(initramfs)” prompt (?).

The screen reads:
Scanning for Btfrs file systems
done.
Begin: Will now check root file system…fsck from util-linux 2.27.1
[/sbin/fsck.ext4 (1) — /dev/sda6] fsck.ext4 -a -CO /dev/sda6
/dev/sda6 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Inodes were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found.

/dev/sda6: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
(i.e., without -a or -p options)
fsck exited with status code 4
done.
Failure: File system check of the root file system failed
The root filesystem on /dev/sda6 requires a manual fsck

Busybox v1.22.1 (Ubuntu 1:1.22.0-15ubuntu1) built-in-shell (ash)
Enter ‘help’ for a list of built-in commands.

As a recap: I don’t use Pearl anymore, but sda4 is my root for Pearl, sda5 was swap space, and sda6 was “home” for Pearl. Linux Mint is sda7 (no separate root and home partitions).

If you have any advise for how I can get past these problems, I’d be grateful.
Thank you,
Hans

Ughhhhh. Guys, I'm about at my wits end. I thought installing and using Mint fixed both the boot-up problems. But, they are back in a slightly different form, plus I am plaqued by permissions becoming restricted on whatever I'm working on.

Permissions
Transferring music from my Pearl partition to my Mint partition: I moved about an eighth of the files with no problem. The next day I try to finish copying my music over - the destination folder has become read-only. I was doing it all from within Mint. Just selecting the pearl partition from inside a file manager window, and pulling the music folders over to my Music folder in Mint.

Same thing with Dropbox - I use it so I can access my files from my desktop and laptop. I've used it fine for weeks. But, now Dropbox cannot be written from Mint.

I have some knowledge about changing permissions through the GUI and even the command line, but this seems like a losing battle. It’s a problem that doesn’t quit. It’s like trying to put out small fires in different places, with the likelihood that wherever I work next, another “fire” will surely spring back up. It’s been happening since I starting using Mint weeks ago. The weirdest thing to me is when I have the permissions initially and then they change.

To get around these permissions problems, I’ve tried reading a lot of articles from the web for making a partition for files to wish to share across platforms within Linux and between them (Mac), but the steps seem to be either out-of-date with my version of software, or there is some other problem that prevents the command lines from working (errors).

Booting:
More freezing of the system. Tried rebooting - I arrive at the grub screen with my choices (Mint, Mac, Pearl), and the only thing that will boot up is Pearl. And that freezes so much I can't work in it. When I select Mint from the grub screen, I get the mint logo for a few seconds, and then the screen goes dark and stays dark. The power button on the monitor blinks, as it does when the monitor has power but receives no signal from the cpu. This has happened to Mint a few times since I've begun using it. I’ve tried every option offered in the grub screen (safe modes and all). Then sometimes, (after hours of attempts) and for reasons unknown to me, it might boot up. But, trying to manage the problems I've had in Linux have become by far the dominant use of my time - just like they used to be when I used Microsoft Windows.

Now I am at a “(initramfs)” prompt (?).

The screen reads:
Scanning for Btfrs file systems
done.
Begin: Will now check root file system…fsck from util-linux 2.27.1
[/sbin/fsck.ext4 (1) — /dev/sda6] fsck.ext4 -a -CO /dev/sda6
/dev/sda6 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Inodes were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found.

/dev/sda6: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
(i.e., without -a or -p options)
fsck exited with status code 4
done.
Failure: File system check of the root file system failed
The root filesystem on /dev/sda6 requires a manual fsck

Busybox v1.22.1 (Ubuntu 1:1.22.0-15ubuntu1) built-in-shell (ash)
Enter ‘help’ for a list of built-in commands.

As a recap: I don’t use Pearl anymore, but sda4 is my root for Pearl, sda5 was swap space, and sda6 was “home” for Pearl. Linux Mint is sda7 (no separate root and home partitions).

If you have any advise for how I can get past these problems, I’d be grateful.
Thank you,
Hans

Hi Hans... I'd like to say, "Welcome back"... but I can tell you'd rather not be here continuing with these problems. And you have several things going on, so I'm not sure where the best place to start. You mentioned permission problems almost from the beginning (page 1, post #18).... for the most part, these should not be occurring, but we can't see what you're doing, or how you're doing it. You mentioned needing to use root to access some files/data, especially on the Mac partition... and that is not all that unusual, but I'm guessing that when you copy/paste that it is making root the owner of the files you're moving, and that is giving you the permission trouble later. Anyway... just guesswork.

Over the course of these many episodes of freezing, you have probably had to force the computer to shut down by holding the power button. This is hard on any operating system, including Linux. I think Linux will automatically run fsck when booting up again, but somewhere along the way it has not been able to complete... the status code 4 means "File system errors left uncorrected." You say that Pearl is the only system that boots, but fsck will not run (or should not be run) on a mounted filesystem... and /dev/sda6 is the one with the problem, and it is your Pearl home partition. If you still have the Mint DVD or USB, it might be easier to boot on that, and run the fsck on the problem partition from there. I don't have time tonight to make a step-by-step description for you (I'm working 12-hr shifts for several more days).... maybe Wizard will jump in with details on that, or I'll try to get back tomorrow.

Another thought, if you boot up on a Live Mint DVD/USB.... you may can do necessary copying this way. Although there is also the chance that some of the corruption on your Pearl /home partition would not copy if it was corrupted files you're trying to get. Using fsck first would be better, but again, that partition needs to be unmounted. If you get into that, I think you'll want to use fsck -y --- so that the -y will allow it to automatically fix errors. (Your report above said not to use -a or -p options, but -y should be okay). See this for more info on fsck and its options:

Code:
man fsck

To be honest, I think you're at a point that the easy fix is to erase it all and start over.... and chalk this one up to part of the learning experience. If you desperately need to save some data, I'd boot on a live DVD/USB and salvage what you can, though it would still be good to run fsck beforehand. You have freezing problems with Pearl that were never resolved, and you now basically want to abandon Pearl anyway.... and if that is the only thing that will boot, it is quite an uphill climb to get out of all of these many issues that you are having. If you want to fight the fight to fix things, Wizard and I will help (and maybe others will join in with some advice also)... but it will take some time, maybe a lot of time.

Maybe I missed it reading back through this thread.... but is your drive a SSD or HDD? Some of what I've read indicate that SSD may be more prone to problems with corrupted filesystems, but I don't know if that is true or not. Some folks advise treating SSD a bit differently, anyway, and not just "plug-and-play" the same way as a HDD.

Gotta run,

Cheers

Crikey Hans (& Hi or Bye, Stan) you are in the wars, aren't you? :(

I'm going to play "catch up" and digest what you have provided us, and I'll try to come back with some good input to complement what Stan has said.

Try not to lose the faith :rolleyes:

Chris

Crikey Hans (& Hi or Bye, Stan) you are in the wars, aren't you? :(

I'm going to play "catch up" and digest what you have provided us, and I'll try to come back with some good input to complement what Stan has said.

Try not to lose the faith :rolleyes:

Chris
Hi Atanere and Wizard! Thank you for writing back. I always appreciate your input. I probably won't be able to work on my Linux issue until Friday or after, and I wanted to update my last post with a little more information. None of it is good though lol. Not long after I sent the post on this forum (and before I could have gotten any responses), I tried doing what the screen had recommended, and entered "fsck /dev/sda6". It started finding a lot of problems, necessitating me hitting 'y' many times until it finished fixing things. After that, it was even more downhill though.

Of the three OSs on the computer, none are accessible, though the grub screen comes up with the choices of the three when rebooting. I tried booting from a Mint USB, but even that gives me only a solid cursor in the far upper-left of the screen. The same thing when I try booting from a Pearl USB. And I have had to reboot many many times. At this point, when I can get back to it, I think what I'd really like to do is this:

Start over and learn how to make a partition that I can leave my music, data, photos, etc. on, but allow access to it from my distro(s) by making sure the permissions are open(?) - if that's the right term. Then, if I need to reinstall my OS, I don't have to worry about overwriting the other stuff. I am the only one on my computer and don't even need the security of a log-in password. I want it to be secure from an outside threat, but my home computer is used only by myself.

The other thing I want to do is use the most stable of distro(s). I think I'd be okay just settling on one. And if Mint isn't a good choice, I'd love to hear your recommendations.

Anyway, I wanted to post this info because I don't want to waste your time either by implying that I'm needing speedy solutions, or by omission of the new info I just added (in case that suggests it is a lost cause). I'll be able to check the posts though and will look forward to any feedback you may have for me in the meantime. Thanks very much : )

Hans

Hi Atanere and Wizard! Thank you for writing back. I always appreciate your input. I probably won't be able to work on my Linux issue until Friday or after, and I wanted to update my last post with a little more information. None of it is good though lol. Not long after I sent the post on this forum (and before I could have gotten any responses), I tried doing what the screen had recommended, and entered "fsck /dev/sda6". It started finding a lot of problems, necessitating me hitting 'y' many times until it finished fixing things. After that, it was even more downhill though.

Of the three OSs on the computer, none are accessible, though the grub screen comes up with the choices of the three when rebooting. I tried booting from a Mint USB, but even that gives me only a solid cursor in the far upper-left of the screen. The same thing when I try booting from a Pearl USB. And I have had to reboot many many times. At this point, when I can get back to it, I think what I'd really like to do is this:

Start over and learn how to make a partition that I can leave my music, data, photos, etc. on, but allow access to it from my distro(s) by making sure the permissions are open(?) - if that's the right term. Then, if I need to reinstall my OS, I don't have to worry about overwriting the other stuff. I am the only one on my computer and don't even need the security of a log-in password. I want it to be secure from an outside threat, but my home computer is used only by myself.

The other thing I want to do is use the most stable of distro(s). I think I'd be okay just settling on one. And if Mint isn't a good choice, I'd love to hear your recommendations.

Anyway, I wanted to post this info because I don't want to waste your time either by implying that I'm needing speedy solutions, or by omission of the new info I just added (in case that suggests it is a lost cause). I'll be able to check the posts though and will look forward to any feedback you may have for me in the meantime. Thanks very much : )

Hans
If your machine will boot from USB (as in not too old for it to be supported at BIOS there ought not be in reason a LIVE session could not be used to attempt to recover some of that data (music and such). You did have your /home on a separate partition than your file system (root). This is reason that is such a good idea.

Anyway, I am wishing you the best of luck with your machine. I have been 'reading the mail' here as this situation is indirectly related to a little project I am playing with currently and it has me studying the Linux boot sequence and its methods pretty closely currently.

Robert

*tips hat*

I tried doing what the screen had recommended, and entered "fsck /dev/sda6". It started finding a lot of problems, necessitating me hitting 'y' many times until it finished fixing things.

Hi Hans and all, and a quick welcome to newcomer Robert (@StarBaseONE2) who has recently joined us here.

Following the instructions the error report gave you was a good idea... really. But the instructions don't really give you enough info as I had tried to give you (albeit somewhat after the fact, I guess). Using the -y option, fsck -y /dev/sda6, would have automatically answered "yes" to all the errors it found... that was the point in telling you that... to save you some trouble with possibly a lot of interactions required. The other thing I cautioned was against running it if the partition was mounted which you may or may not have done. But hopefully you will file these things away in your new Linux knowledge-base... this is how we all learn best: by doing.

You aren't wasting our time, by any means. We enjoy helping you and everyone who needs it. But time is a precious commodity and we all live and work by different schedules and on different timetables. So we just have to muddle along as best as we can to meet here, make comments or suggestions, and then get feedback and make corrections.

Starting over with a thoughtful structured goal will really help you this time around, I think. Dual-booting, as you have found, is somewhat more complicated. It would be much easier to dedicate a computer to Linux only. And there are sometimes issues with hardware compatibility with Linux, which is something we should definitely try to consider as you move forward again. When you ask if Mint is a good choice, or should you choose another, goes along with thinking about those hardware issues.

Right now, I am concerned that you are not cleanly booting on your Mint USB, and I wonder if this did not occur earlier (so that you were able to install Mint). The "blinking cursor on a black screen" usually indicates some issue with the video adapter. I have used Mint for many years, and I find it to be one of the best and easiest, so I often recommend it.... but on the other hand, maybe another distro would be better for you. Or another version of Mint (Mate versus Cinnamon, for example).

A fairly good method of determining hardware compatibility is to run a "live distro" as you have done already with Mint, I think, before you installed it. You can run "live" with USB or DVD (if you have a DVD-ROM). Now is the time for you to look around a little, if you are so inclined, to try out some options and see what looks and feels best for you, and what seems to work best with your hardware.

But because you are really at a "start over" state... I would suggest that before you install MacOS again, that you do some full Linux installs to your computer. It takes you through the setup of different distros (try 2 or 3, at least, if you can) and will give you the fuller experience of how each can be expected to perform. You could then try to bring in some small collections of music/video/photos to see if you can determine what the permissions issues were... if they come back. Sure, even create a separate partition to hold them, as you indicated. If you do continue to have permission problems, try to let us know what is going on, with as many details as you can. Permissions should not be causing you all the grief that it seemed to be earlier. Avoid using root (or sudo) if you can.... but of course it is necessary sometimes too.

OK, let me finish up for now. The last thing is about the "Data partition" that you want to create. That's a fine idea, but it alone will not cure the permissions issues. The first thing that comes to mind for me is that I expect you also want your MacOS to access this data. So when you create this partition, you need to format it with a filesystem that both Mac and Linux can work with.... strangely enough, I'd probably recommend NTFS (the Windows filesystem). ExFAT will also work, or FAT32 (if no single file will be over 4GB). Linux will readily work with NTFS, and I think Mac will, or it may need you to give it a nudge somehow (remember, I don't know Mac at all). If you want exFAT, I think Linux will need a nudge to work, but FAT32 will work, I think, for both OS'es as long as the file size limits will not hurt you.

Now is also a good time to read all you can (and us too) about using Mac and Linux together. This is new for me, for sure, though I have a fair amount of experience dual-booting with Windows. But in the end, it is your computer and you will have to do the work to set up and maintain the two systems to keep them working in harmony. The Mac part may be a breeze for you, but doing the trial installations with Linux would, I hope, help you to get a better grasp on Linux too before you put the two together.

Cheers

Thumbs up to all of the above, including what Robert (@StarBaseONE2 ) said.

@Hans , in Linux we have a couple of commands

Code:
chmod

and

chown

which are to change mode and change ownership, of files and folders between Users, Groups, Owners, and Root.

Our adept Administrator @Rob has a Tutorial at this thread https://www.linux.org/threads/command-chmod.291/

that is well worth the read, and I know our "new" Robert above has already taken a look.

That is useful that you volunteered that information, because then when you come to setting up that data partition, we can better assist you with tools such as chmod to make sure you have access from other parts of or operating systems on, your computer.

The Tutorial, being for beginners, does not go as far as to talk about the -R recursive, which simply speaking means you can issue a chmod instruction, and it will perform the same task on a folder, any subfolders, and any and all files contained therein. This may be of good use to you?

Other than that, have a look around, particularly at distrowatch.com, as we are fond of saying, see what you want to do or try, and we will try to help.

And to reiterate what Stan has said, you are not ever wasting our time, as long as you try to work out what you want to do, what results you want to get. And that can be difficult for you when maybe you don't know the questions to ask. We understand that.

Cheers

Wizard

Great advice gentlemen. Thank you Robert, Atanere, and Wizard. I will definitely read that article. Thanks for the link. The chmod and chown commands look particularly helpful too. I've wiped the hard drive and am starting over, and considering keeping only Linux on my desktop; maybe just using my laptop for Mac. I really appreciate the thoughtful advice, and am going with your recommended plans. I'll keep in touch : )

Thanks again,
Hans

We've got your back, Hans.

Enjoy

Wizard

Members online

Latest posts