Struggling to install Zoom on Knoppix 9.1

Murray Mint

Reaction score
Credits
Hello Everyone

I am struggling to install Zoom on Knoppix 9.1. I have tried what worked for me on Linux Mint but it does not work on Knoppix:

sudo apt -y install wget
wget https://zoom.us/client/latest/zoom_amd64.deb
sudo apt install ./zoom_amd64.deb

At this point the dependencies were not installed and, as suggested by Zoom, I ran the update:

sudo apt update

I then re-installed Zoom and this is the result:

root@Microknoppix:~# sudo apt install ./zoom_amd64.deb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'zoom:amd64' instead of './zoom_amd64.deb'
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libdbus-1-3:amd64 : Depends: libsystemd0:amd64
libpulse0:amd64 : Depends: libsystemd0:amd64
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
root@Microknoppix:~#

I don’t know what to try next as my knowledge of Linux is limited and would be very grateful if anyone could help. Thank you in advance.

I haven't run Knoppix in a while but I thought I noticed the last time I was on the Knoppix site that it is intended to be run as a "Live" distro - not installed and run as a daily driver.
Perhaps a more 'desktop' oriented distro would be easier?

Thank you both for your help. KGill - your link is really useful and I am beginning to understand what is going on and how to tackle these issues not just for now but for always. Ubuntu is perfectly happy with the Zoom libraries that Knoppix is complaining about so there could be a bug there. Still, I can run Zoom from Mint and you have given me a good start in my Linux career.

The reason I am struggling with Knoppix Vrai, when I have a perfectly good Mint installed, is that, as you said, it is a portable live distro but is readily customisable. In theory, I can add my apps, cookies, browsing history etc and remaster it with just one click. Only Zoom has not worked and I will have another try with the new info.

Thank you both again for taking the time to help me.

The reason I am struggling with Knoppix Vrai, when I have a perfectly good Mint installed, is that, as you said, it is a portable live distro but is readily customisable. In theory, I can add my apps, cookies, browsing history etc and remaster it with just one click. Only Zoom has not worked and I will have another try with the new info.
Excellent!
Still, I can run Zoom from Mint and you have given me a good start in my Linux career.
Please keep us posted! :cool:

As a privacy advocate and crypto-anarchist, I honestly wouldn't recommend using Zoom because of all the security flaws it has. I've been using Jami, and that's much safer to use. Here's the link if you want to check that out: https://jami.net/

I'm sure you are right SpongebobFan, people have raised security concerns since the start of the pandemic. However, the groups I go to use Zoom and I have little choice unless I can connect to Zoom using jami.

The package for Linux Mint has a strong dependency on systemd, which was removed from Knoppix since Knoppix 8.5.

I may suggest you to download a generic tarball for any distributions which does not depend on systemd:
https://zoom.us/client/latest/zoom_x86_64.tar.xz It may still require to install some packages, which can be determined by running
ldd %zoom_installation_path%/zoom, looking what libraries are not found, and then finding and installing the corresponding packages.

I'm sure you are right SpongebobFan, people have raised security concerns since the start of the pandemic. However, the groups I go to use Zoom and I have little choice unless I can connect to Zoom using jami.

What groups are you in that requires you to run Zoom?

I am involved in a couple of music groups SpongebobFan1, a bit of work too. Strictly speaking none of them need to run on Zoom but they do and as a lowly participant I have no choice or say in the software they use. As I said before, if I could join a Zoom meeting using different software I would be very happy.

I did download the version of Zoom you suggested bodqhrohro. I know that, in ignorance, I am probably doing something silly but this is the unhelpful result I got:

… Saving to: ‘zoom_x86_64.tar.xz’

zoom_x86_64.tar.xz 100%[=========================>] 48.90M 4.13MB/s in 11s

2021-03-30 14:45:49 (4.33 MB/s) - ‘zoom_x86_64.tar.xz’ saved [51279124/51279124]

root@Microknoppix:~# sudo apt install ./zoom_x86_64.tar.xz
E: Unsupported file ./zoom_x86_64.tar.xz given on commandline

Thank you again for all your suppport.

I am involved in a couple of music groups SpongebobFan1, a bit of work too. Strictly speaking none of them need to run on Zoom but they do and as a lowly participant I have no choice or say in the software they use. As I said before, if I could join a Zoom meeting using different software I would be very happy.

I did download the version of Zoom you suggested bodqhrohro. I know that, in ignorance, I am probably doing something silly but this is the unhelpful result I got:

2021-03-30 14:45:49 (4.33 MB/s) - ‘zoom_x86_64.tar.xz’ saved [51279124/51279124]

Maybe you could try putting an ad on an online classifeds site, such as ClassifiedAds.com like I do, saying you want to set up a music group and will communicate through Jami

sudo apt install ./zoom_x86_64.tar.xz

That's not even remotely right. Extract the files in the .tar.xz file and look for a binary file. Make it executable and then run it. It may even be something like install.sh or not have a .bin extension.

Binary tarballs are not meant to be installed with apt, they're just unpacked. So the correct command would be:
Code:
tar xJf ./zoom_x86_64.tar.xz
And to run it:
Code:
zoom/ZoomLauncher &

Thank you all for another push or two in the right direction. I moved from Windows to Linux Mint a couple of weeks ago, everything worked first time and, after Windows, it is a breath of fresh air. Knoppix is less beginner friendly but forces me to get to grips with the system - guess what I will be doing during the Easter break!

Success!!! Having tried everything, in the end I succeeded in installing the original file: zoom_amd64.deb. The unresolved dependency was fixed with aptitude:
Code:
sudo aptitude install libsystemd0:amd64
I can’t thank you guys and the forum enough for taking the time and trouble to sort me out.

Members online