StratOS?

Free doesn't mean price and the GPL according to RMS allows for a company to charge for it.

No different to Red Hat seems fair to me. Price is hardly steep.

Has anyone else heard of or used StratOS? How is Techno Run able to charge for it? Scam?
http://techno-run.com/stratos/

It is the same concept as RedHat. People pay for the support. But how does RedHat get around the loophole of GPL = free? Well, RedHat does offer their system for free - if you can find the free download page. The real question is - Where does StratOS offer the free, fully-functional download?

**cough**
http://www.linux.org/threads/red-hat-rhel-download.5913/
**cough**

:D

It is the same concept as RedHat. People pay for the support. But how does RedHat get around the loophole of GPL = free? Well, RedHat does offer their system for free - if you can find the free download page. The real question is - Where does StratOS offer the free, fully-functional download?

**cough**
http://www.linux.org/threads/red-hat-rhel-download.5913/
**cough**

:D
I know how Red Hat does there stuff, and I have no problem with how they do it, but TechnoRun seems to be different. From their Facebook page:
Dear Mr. Owens,

The GPL license allows you to create closed source projects running on Linux, if you provide the source code to your Kernel. We have a license from Ubuntu, allowing us to make the OS running on Linux, a closed source project. However, if you want the source code to the Kernel used, we provide it from our Website.

I don't like em. But it is legal...:mad:

"The GPL license allows you to create closed source projects running on Linux, if you provide the source code to your Kernel. We have a license from Ubuntu, allowing us to make the OS running on Linux, a closed source project. However, if you want the source code to the Kernel used, we provide it from our Website."

Yeah with you now that is pretty bad even Xandros - (yeah that's going back a bit I'm an old fart) offered a free if somewhat crippled version and Elive gives you a functioning system.

Man Linux has become very commercial.

I stick with free as freedom, charge what you need to supply support to cover your costs.

Anyway sorry Ryan didn't realise all the facts.

"The GPL license allows you to create closed source projects running on Linux, if you provide the source code to your Kernel. We have a license from Ubuntu, allowing us to make the OS running on Linux, a closed source project. However, if you want the source code to the Kernel used, we provide it from our Website."

Yeah with you now that is pretty bad even Xandros - (yeah that's going back a bit I'm an old fart) offered a free if somewhat crippled version and Elive gives you a functioning system.

Man Linux has become very commercial.

I stick with free as freedom, charge what you need to supply support to cover your costs.

Anyway sorry Ryan didn't realise all the facts.
Nothing to be sorry about. :)

I agree it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Unlike Red Hat or Novell, this company isn't exactly dealing with huge enterprise server clusters that require zero down time. I'd more consider this in the vein of Microsoft as you're literally paying for the software and considering (from the website pics) it looks exactly like Ubuntu, it seems more like a trap to catch naive or new Linux users and a definite waste of money.

I much prefer this stratos.

Members online