Steps towards Kali Linux

B

buribam

Yo. I've been using Ubuntu for nearly half a year and I'm interested in switching to Kali Linux as the next Distro. I've read that it isn't exactly the easiest transition, so I'd like some input of any guides (something as such)or steps to take before jumping into Kali.
I'm unsure of where to start, so any advice would be great.
Thanks

Hi idk what's your knowledge with Linux, but I would advise you against Kali. Kali is a pentesting distro and is made specifically for that. I mean you can run it as "normal user" (not root) but most tools there need root access. If you are interested in hacking give it a go, but if you just want other distro try Arch. You are gonna learn a lot from Arch and it's is a great distro for power user. If you still want to use Kali p.m. anytime I can help you if you run on any problems :D. Here is the link with some usefull stuff about Kali
http://www.blackmoreops.com/

I've echoed this on other posts, but I completely agree with @LArchimonde

Kali is not a personal, everyday use distro. It has a specific purpose and unless you are a cyber-security guru you won't have a need for most of its features. A lot of newer users for some reason want to use Kali. I guess because it has become known as a "hacker" distro and "hackers are l33t", but in reality it takes a tremendous amount of knowledge to successfully penetrate systems. I've been using Linux for 3+ years as a main distro and at work and I still don't consider myself close to knowledgeable to penetrate systems.

Check out this pentesting CTF team's website:
https://fail0verflow.com/blog/2014/plaidctf2014-web200-reeekeeeeee.html
You need that kind of knowledge to really use Kali to its potential.

Additionally, you can get all the tools Kali offers through Debian as Kali is just a flavor of Debian. I'd recommend this as a better option as you can learn about tools and download them as you need them or want to try them.

If you want a challenge and don't mind getting your hands dirty at the command-line I would recommend installing Arch, Slackware, or Gentoo as they will give you a better idea of what is going on under the hood when you install an operating system.

Unless you are going to be pentesting just don't use Kali.

you may find some useful how to related article of kali linux in attachted website,hopefully it may resolve your issue:

Members online

Latest posts