Steam not working anymore (now conflict with steam and package manager)

minty

Reaction score
Credits
After update my Linux distro i discovered that steam was not working anymore. it was starting but closes down imeditaly
So i uninstalled steam and after that i did something stupids.
I installed steam from the website.
https://store.steampowered.com/about/

I deleted steam mannualy but it still exists. When i give the steam command in the terminal i got the following output.

Code:
Running Steam on linuxmint 19 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Pins up-to-date!
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1563346602)
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
Gtk-Message: 18:04:08.616: Failed to load module "gail"
Gtk-Message: 18:04:08.616: Failed to load module "atk-bridge"

(steam:2591): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:04:08.628: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",
/usr/share/themes/Mint-Y/gtk-2.0/main.rc:1085: error: unexpected identifier 'direction', expected character '}'
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
Steam: An X Error occurred
X Error of failed request:  GLXBadContext
Major opcode of failed request:  154
Serial number of failed request:  50
xerror_handler: X failed, continuing
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
Value in failed request:  0x0
Serial number of failed request:  49
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
Serial number of failed request:  51
crash_20190721180407_1.dmp[2621]: Uploading dump (out-of-process)
/tmp/dumps/crash_20190721180407_1.dmp
/home/oem/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 720:  2591 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) $STEAM_DEBUGGER "$STEAMROOT/$STEAMEXEPATH" "$@"
crash_20190721180407_1.dmp[2621]: Finished uploading minidump (out-of-process): success = yes
crash_20190721180407_1.dmp[2621]: response: CrashID=bp-0a92605a-0462-4854-ae2b-2955c2190721
crash_20190721180407_1.dmp[2621]: file ''/tmp/dumps/crash_20190721180407_1.dmp'', upload yes: ''CrashID=bp-0a92605a-0462-4854-ae2b-2955c2190721''

I thought i uninstalled steam and in my package manager there is no steam. even i deleted steam a several times mannualy. But it is still there.
Can someone help me by telling me what is wrong and how i can remove all the faulty installed steam things and how i can bring it finnaly get working again.

At the moment it's for me very confusing because i thougt i uninstalled steam but it is still there.

I'm a little confused about what's going on and what you're doing. So you're saying that after fixing the updates issue, you had trouble Steam, so you uninstalled it? Then you reinstalled it, still had trouble, the uninstalled again?
What commands are you running to get the 'code' above?
Why do you think it's "still there"?

I don't think you should do this, but if you want to delete EVERYTHING from your profile related to Steam, running 'rm -r ~/.steam' will do it. I think a better first step would be to rename it by running 'mv ~/.steam ~/.steam_old'. Deleting means you lose everything, including all downloaded games. Renaming it means when you run the app it won't see anything, but you still have it if you need it.

Too get the code above i only put steam into the terminal because the gui failed.
I discovered this issue when i would start steam. I tried some other applications and they worked faster than before.

Only steam is giving trouble.

My goal is to get steam running again. Bu i made one big stupid mistake after that i discovered steam was not working. I installed steam with the installer from the steam website at the same time steam was installed in the package manager.

At this moment i uninstalled steam in the package manager but it's still there.

I deleted Steam with Synaptic package manager because it seems impossible too get it work. Now i'am trying too reinstall it with the software manager.

Is there with linux something going on that software never will be removed completly.
The reason i trid too reinstall steam is that i hope i get it working again.

The last time a Linux update meant that i haf too need total install Linux. I really hope that i get now everything working well agian because the rest of my computer works perfect.
For some reason updating Linux means a lot of trouble. I like Linux very much but updating means always a lot of problems.

I find the problem.

The newest Nvida driver don't support 32 bit. And steam needs a 32 bit driver. So now i'am have an old driver so my card is not working well but when i install a new one Steam won't start.

Code:
sudo apt-get install libnvidia-gl-390:i386

Members online

Latest posts