Staying on Kernel 5.4.0

Wike1970

Reaction score
Credits
Hi Everybody

I would like to ask an odd question. I use a distro called FerenOS. And not so long ago it update Kernel from 5.4.0 to 5.8.0. But there a problem with sound on Kernel 5.8.0 on my laptop. The sound doesn't work at all. But if I push "ESC" and choose Kernel 5.4.0 sound works as it should. Is there anyway to remove 5.8.0 on my laptop and make to run on 5.4.0 Kernel? If there is, how does one do so? And is it bad to stay on Kernel 5.4.0 instead of 5.8.0. I would be very happy if someone could help me with this.

M V H
Christer Wickman

G'day Christer, Welcome to Linux.org

Before you remove a kernel or make any changes that have the potential to "go south"....make yourself familiar with Timeshift.

It works in a similar manner to windows system restore, needs an external hard drive to save its snapshots to, and will save your sanity easily if something goes wrong.
if you already have it....good !
If you don't and you need help with it....just say so

Seeing Feren OS is based on Ubuntu, there is an app which will make the kernel problem go away

Ubuntu Mainline Kernel Installer

Please.....be careful in using it.
You are better off to highlight one kernel, and then click on remove . (not purge)

When an Update is shown for another kernel, you can choose to either install it or to ignore updates of that type.......to do this, right click on the kernel update .....

Have a closer look in your update Manager.......does it perhaps have the ability to remove kernels from there ?.....

BUT FIRST....TIMESHIFT

When Ubuntu shipped the 5.8.x kernel just recently, it had some dropped drivers.

I'd expect a fairly rapid update that resolves this. This is definitely not the first time this has happened.

Hi Everybody

I would like to ask an odd question. I use a distro called FerenOS. And not so long ago it update Kernel from 5.4.0 to 5.8.0. But there a problem with sound on Kernel 5.8.0 on my laptop. The sound doesn't work at all. But if I push "ESC" and choose Kernel 5.4.0 sound works as it should. Is there anyway to remove 5.8.0 on my laptop and make to run on 5.4.0 Kernel? If there is, how does one do so? And is it bad to stay on Kernel 5.4.0 instead of 5.8.0. I would be very happy if someone could help me with this.

M V H
Christer Wickman
I don't use FerenOS and cannot answer your question regarding reverting to an older kernel (although I suspect it would be a similar process as many other Linux distros).

But, I would like to add, I believe it is not necessary nor recommended to update the kernel just because a newer kernel version is available. If everything is working fine - don't mess with the kernel - unless you have a compelling reason to do so.

Please pay attention to the stunningly simple, and absolutely truthful advice given by @Vrai

"Compelling" does not mean " 'cause I want to".

Members online