Start problem im root

Peter HK

Reaction score
Credits
I had made a error trough this i have now a old well funtion ans a now active not function
zlinux and a zlinux.old (remeber not the exat name.
I need now delete the zlinx and rename the zlinux.old to zlinux
But i come not on this directory, only with the datei manager
The is a secound datei must smilar done.
I am iMania would be great to find here help
[Redacted]
Greeting
Peter

Last edited by a moderator:

Trying to decrypt this post, it seems like you wish to delete the file named zlinux, rename zlinux.old to zlinux, but you are only in a file manager (datei manager?) and not in the directory where the file is.

Usually a file manager will allow you to remove and rename files.
What distribution are you using?
What file manager are you using? (For example, dolphin, thunar, nemo, pcmanfm, nautilus ...?)

In any case to solve your problem as I understand it, you need to find the file zlinux, and then remove it and rename zlinux.old. That's easy in a terminal.

Open a terminal. There's probably an icon on your desktop showing a terminal, so you can click it.
I don't know where the file zlinux is on your filesystem, so you can search the whole filesystem with this command as user or root:
Code:
find / -name zlinux 2>/dev/null
Wait for the command to finish. It will take a little time because it's looking through the whole installation.
The "2>/dev/null" just stops a lot of output which find cannot access.

If you know the file is just in your home directory, then you can run this command instead:
Code:
find /home/<username> -name zlinux
where you replace <username> with your user name.

Let's say the files are found here: /home/<username>/zlinux, and here: /home/<username>/zlinux.old.
To remove one and rename the other run:
Code:
rm /home/<username>/zlinux
mv /home/<username>/zlinux.old /home/<username>/zlinux

If by chance the file zlinux is in the partitions where you need root access, you must run the same commands above as root. There are other ways of doing it, but the above will work.

It occurs to me that the zlinux might be a vmlinuz file, which is a kernel. It's best to deal with removing these files with a package manager.

Last edited:
If you need to delete the directory "Xilinx" and rename the directory "zlinux.old" to "zlinux" but you can only access the directories through the file manager, you can use the following steps:
  1. Open the file manager on your computer and navigate to the directory that contains the "Xilinx" and "zlinux.old" directories.
  2. Select the "Xilinx" directory and press the "Delete" key on your keyboard to delete it.
  3. Select the "zlinux.old" directory and press the "F2" key on your keyboard to rename it.
  4. Type in "zlinux" as the new name for the directory and press "Enter" to save the changes.
  5. Repeat the same steps for the second directory you need to rename.
It's important to be careful when renaming or deleting files and directories, as it can cause errors or data loss if done improperly. It's always a good idea to make a backup of important data before making any changes.

Alternatively, you can use the terminal to execute commands such as "rm -r" to delete a directory and "mv" to rename a directory. It's recommended to be cautious when using the terminal because it can cause severe data loss if not done correctly.

Members online