Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd, 2017 please sign up again. Thanks!

1. More ways to get the info! - we shoot all of our new original content out as well as random messages on Twitter and our newsletter!. Twitter | Newsletter
    Dismiss Notice

Standardize commands and software versions

Discussion in 'General Linux' started by lekkerlinux, Apr 15, 2019.

1. lekkerlinux

lekkerlinux Member

Why don't they standardize commands and software in the same distro, say Ubuntu or whatever?

I just have two games on my PC and I had to ad a repository to get the latest version of one of them because the one in the software center was older.

The other one also had a newer version but I still had to install snapd and install it via command line. It worked but this is unnecessary work for Ubuntu people. I mean people who use Linux but just want to get on with it.

I think snap packages auto update but if I want to manually update I have to remember to use refresh and not update.

Why not standardize commands and also update at least the list of programs in the software center, like with a sudo apt update, done automatically, now and then? What's the point of having lots of outdated software in the software center?

(Log in to hide this advertisement)

I revering to mostly latest stable versions of programs, those in testing or development.

2. Peer

Peer Active Member

They Do this because this newer packages could be un stabile.

lekkerlinux and wizardfromoz like this.
  3. wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz Super Moderator
    Staff Member Gold Supporter

Very glib answer is that snap was developed by Canonical (Ubuntu) for use with their Linux mobile phone project, now kaput.

It is used in Ubuntu and Linux Mint, also Fedora now I believe.

Go figure.

Wizard

lekkerlinux likes this.
  4. lekkerlinux

lekkerlinux Member

That can sometimes be true, but mostly the main snap packages are all from the stable channel.

5. lekkerlinux

lekkerlinux Member

Yes, it is supposed to be part of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. I had to install it because it is not included in Lubuntu 18.04 LTS.

It sounds like a good idea to easily install snaps with a few simple commands and then they auto-update.

The big downside I discovered yesterday, is that shutdown and startup is slower after installing snapd. I just went to the Ubuntu snap store and looked at all the new shiny versions of programs and forgot all about the downsides.

Lesson relearned, keep a good working system standard and don't customize!

6. wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz Super Moderator
    Staff Member Gold Supporter

Another downside of snaps, perhaps not a drama to some, is lengthier output of certain commands in the CLI.

For example

Code:
    sudo blkid
    ... will list all snaps as being mounted devices, of the loop kind.

You can read more about this by searching on Google under

linux blkid snap

Wizard