ssh unstable - missing or denied connections

Z

zainka

I have a server at home running linux (slitaz) which has proven to be very stable and reliable. To control and maintain this server I normally login over ssh. Never been any trouble to that ever (before). The server as two users, except root, one for which I usually use when logging in to maintain the server, and one used for a git repository. I have been able to login to both these users and use git as normal up until now.

The client machine which i use on a daily basis, and from which i normally logon to my server, are running win7 and as one could expect, windows became unstable after some time and I decide to revert to an earlier stored win7 image, which I did. This is also running openssh.

After reverting to an stable win7 image, connecting to the server has become very unreliable. Mostly I am warned about "man in the middle attacks" etc. and I am prevented from logging on to the server from the client machine. I have removed known_host and regenerated keys to no help. Normally I am able to login once after win7 boot but if I exit an later trying to login for an second session I either get the message that connection was refused or I get the warning that remote host identification has changed.

For git usage I often get disconnected whilst the server claims that the password i wrong, or that the host is unknown. From time to time I still succeed connecting for pushing etc. but there are no guarantee.

I really cant understand what causes this problem cause it seems illogical at best. The only change I have done is to re-store my windows. both the client machine and the server has reserved ip addresses. I thought tha the IP where changing after each boot first but, no, its rock stable.

Any help will do

thanks

It could be the router closing the wireless network from the wired but that is unlikely.

Did you configure ssh keys?

I have a server at home running linux (slitaz) which has proven to be very stable and reliable. To control and maintain this server I normally login over ssh. Never been any trouble to that ever (before). The server as two users, except root, one for which I usually use when logging in to maintain the server, and one used for a git repository. I have been able to login to both these users and use git as normal up until now.

The client machine which i use on a daily basis, and from which i normally logon to my server, are running win7 and as one could expect, windows became unstable after some time and I decide to revert to an earlier stored win7 image, which I did. This is also running openssh.

After reverting to an stable win7 image, connecting to the server has become very unreliable. Mostly I am warned about "man in the middle attacks" etc. and I am prevented from logging on to the server from the client machine. I have removed known_host and regenerated keys to no help. Normally I am able to login once after win7 boot but if I exit an later trying to login for an second session I either get the message that connection was refused or I get the warning that remote host identification has changed.

For git usage I often get disconnected whilst the server claims that the password i wrong, or that the host is unknown. From time to time I still succeed connecting for pushing etc. but there are no guarantee.

I really cant understand what causes this problem cause it seems illogical at best. The only change I have done is to re-store my windows. both the client machine and the server has reserved ip addresses. I thought tha the IP where changing after each boot first but, no, its rock stable.

Any help will do

thanks
It sounds like your problem is the openssh running on Windows 7. This is a Linux based forum. You would need to contact the authors or the website where you downloaded the software for Windows, for support.

You might want to download and install Putty for Windows and test with that, instead of openssh.

You might also download a Linux Live-CD, and boot the windows computer into Linux to test the connection from the Linux Live-CD client to the Linux server. If you still have connection problems, the problem might be on the server. I recently had issues with a Debian Jessie server with intermittent connection problems. After applying some updates, the problem seemed to have disappeared.

Good luck!

Sorry for late reply but I upgraded to openssh 6.7 and problem was gone. I though I did upgrade to latest when I downloaded what was latest version on sourceforge, but that was kinda very outdated. .. nevertheless problem solved now

I got openssh 6.7 here at mls-software (and add com to it) (silly forum rules prevents to give link but I guess you figure it out)

Staff online

Members online