SSH reverse tunneling

Z

Zvone2304

Hello all good people,

OK i am need an expert for ssh tunneling so i would need a help with something i want to do, because i don't know is this even possible to do.

So let's say i have server with installed RHEL5 and with no connection to internet, but since i have subscription number i want to register it to RHN.
The way i am connecting to my server is with my laptop directly to server via patch cable or via Cisco switch (uplinks down, so no connection to net either)
My laptop is connected also to the wireless network. So is it possible via reverse tunneling or maybe some other solution to use my laptop as proxy for RHEL server in order to register it to RHN??

I hope you understand what i mean and thank you all in advance for the time and help.

Regards.
Zvone

Thanks Kerms,

I shared my wireless connection to LAN via i am connecting to server (address is then changed to 192.168.137.1). Then I have applied only some simple routing to connect my server to internet.
But anyway no good for my case since i needed to change eth0 interface address on server side too (from 10.X.X.X subnet to 192.168.137.X subnet) and let's say I am not allowed to that.

Anyway once again for your time.

Regards

Are you saying you don't have root access to the server you're working on? Because what you're wanting to do is overly complicated, and can be easily solved by connecting your laptop and the server to a switch or router that's connected to the internet.

If you're unable to request root access, and unable to do the hardware thing, I'd set up your laptop to act as a router or proxy server. If you're doing the router method, change the laptop's router's subnet to the same of the server.

http://www.aboutdebian.com/proxy.htm

Router:
http://etutorials.org/Linux+systems/red+hat+linux+bible+fedora+enterprise+...

No, no, i have root access. I agree with you regarding connection of my laptop and server to the switch. This is already done, connected and configured but uplink is not live so I don't have connection to internet from my switch :)

The problem is, you should provide static IP address of your server to RHN in order to receive updates ( in my case this is address 10.xx.xx.xx) but since i have used this workaround we talked about in previous posts, i had to change this IP to another subnet (192.168.137.xx) because this is the subnet of my shared connection on my laptop via which i am connecting to RHN.

Anyway thanks again and really don't bother anymore with it :)

Regards

Members online

Latest posts