Special characters in file names?

kulezi

Reaction score
Credits
I am wondering if Linux will work for what I need.

I need to be able to save files with the filename being like this: John Doe 250 12/31/2018

The data will be copied and pasted either from a website, or from an Open Office spreadsheet with the name, number and date being in separate columns. I have had no problem doing this on a Mac, but now need to work on a Windows machine, and Windows does not allow / in the file names, and does something odd with the spacing between the data. I do not want to have to modify the filenames every time I need to enter one. I am searching for a solution.

Will Linux allow this? Thanks!

Anybody???

I guess what I'm asking is: Is the / symbol allowed or not allowed in a file name for Linux?

Last edited:
j8uxSSB.png

do your file names have to have the / ....why not a .

Or a - (dash) :)

Another thought instead of a spreadsheet or in addition to is a database.

In the latter case, the complexity of the underlying tables can be greatly reduced (with concomitant space-saving benefits) with eg

20181231 John Doe 250

This makes it eminently easy for sorting purposes, chronologically, in either ascending or descending order.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

At work, on my Windows computer, I have a backup script where I use dashes for the date. For easy sorting, you probably would want to name them like this 2019-01-05-something (year-month-day). Remember to keep the zeros in the single digit dates otherwise 2 comes after 19 (1,10,11...19,2, 20).

Thank you for your replies. You have told me what I need to know.

I was hoping to save the editing of the date. On a mac, I can copy>paste no problem. To change the / would require editing and make the process that much longer. It's quite a bit of data... I was hoping to find a way to do the same on a PC.

Members online