Sound...?....what Sound !

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits
1 LM18.3

2. old case, new motherboard, cpu ram, ssd, power supply etc etc

the old case was not designed for this motherboard, and the spot where headphone jacks plug in were covered when the motherboard was installed. (not by me !)

prior to this taking place I had (and still have ) a Logitech Z Cinema...connects via usb.

I also had a "thingie" which converted a usb port to take a headphone jack

The 'thingie' has gone to God....and I am unable to find another in my current location.

So....i uncovered the plug in points for headphones etc, and plugged a 'known to be good' headphone into the green spot......no result

When it comes to analysing/diagnosing anything to do with sound I am a muppet. No clue.

I open sound, either via menu or via the quaver note in the sys tray and there is no sign of anything other than Z Cinema and ladspa plugin

Looking inside the case.....
ASRock motherboard B150M pro4 & Elna Audio

Help ?

When it comes to analysing/diagnosing anything to do with sound I am a muppet. No clue.

Sounds like me ... Kermie, oh Kermie (Miss Piggy)

I've been having some probs betweenheadphoned and non-headphoned, haven't zero'ed in on whether Linux Mint is involved.

Try an install USB, phones in, phones out.

I always use Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven -

Test sound, etc.

Hopefully someone else will have better answers.

Roll back on a recent Timeshift snapshot, or will that bugger up the new changes?

Wiz

Any changes I have made are not new enough to be affected.....Timeshift is not gonna fix it !

HeyCondobloke,

Here's the manual in case you don't have it.

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/B150M Pro4.pdf

I've had motherboards where I've had no audio and I had to go into the bios settings and enable the audio setting can't say that this is the solution although worth a look at.

Page 51 in the manual shows this.

Onboard HD Audio
Enable/disable onboard HD audio. Set to Auto to enable onboard HD audio and automatically disable it when a sound card is installed.

It does sound hardware related since the usb sound adapter worked.
It's possible that Linux Mint 18.3 didn't install a driver although very unlikely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Brian... have you installed Pulse Audio (pavucontrol) yet? I just did a fresh install of Mint 19 Cinnamon a week or so ago and was very surprised that sound did not work for me out of the box. The solution I found on the web was to install pavucontrol and change the Profile in the Configuration tab. It originally showed a reasonable enough looking setting for Built-in Audio that didn't work, but I changed that to the very top selection in the dropdown box, Analog Stereo Duplex (unplugged), and it worked. My speaker were actually plugged in, but whatever. :D

Hope that helps. Sound can really be a pain to get working sometimes. :confused::eek::D

Cheers

Hey Brian... have you installed Pulse Audio (pavucontrol) yet?
Cheers
Good call atanere.

I had no audio on Antix 17.1 when streaming videos on Youtube until I installed Pulse Audio Control.

sudo apt install pavucontrol

Thanks Stan and poorguy, I simply have an insufficient knowledge of what I am doing here.

I did peruse the manual.....but can makle no sense of it.

My son originally set this pc up for me, and I have a sneaking suspicion he may have altered something in the setup that 'killed' the onboard sound.

I no longer speak to him , so thats the end of that line of help

I do have pavucontrol installed....(pulse audio)

and the configuration shows Analogue Stereo Output.....

I think for the time being I will go and sleep on it.

Might search Amazon again tomorrow for that adapter !

Hey Condobloke,

Ok here's what I suggest.

Go to page 36 in the manual.

Chapter 4 UEFI SETUP UTILITY

by pressing <F2> or <Del> right
after you power on the computer

This should open your bios screen where you should be able to use the arrows to scroll down to

4.4.2 Chipset Configuration

Look for

Onboard HD Audio

Enable/disable onboard HD audio. Set to Auto to enable onboard HD audio and
automatically disable it when a sound card is installed.

Check and see what your options are and you may just have to change this setting and then save the changes and exit.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I am seeing double but there are 2 iterations of this Thread, I will delete the other

Cheers

Wiz

@poorguy .......Thank You !!!

My friend....you just MADE MY DAY.

Brian is tickled pink !!....(and it has nothing to do with the beer I am having atm)

I thought I had looked everywhere in the manual and also in the bios which I had already looked at.....

BUT.....i didn't look inside chipset configuration, did I ??!!...as atanere would say...DOH !

There it was. I set onboard hd audio to ON. I considered setting it to auto, which would mean that when I plugged in headphones it would automatically switch to playing sound via those headphones.......but the jack receiver on the front of my pc does not work....it should,,,but doesn't

So I plugged my headset in to the receiver on the back of the pc......if I need to use the headphones i simply click on the sound icon in the sys tray....and select the 'line out built in audio'...and all is good.

I am like a kid with a new toy.

Thanks Mate

Brian

Whoot whoot whoot :) Poorguy roxx!

I'm bookmarking this thread for my personal wiki/KB - the gaps in my audio skills are big enough to drive a Mack truck through and have room to spare :D

Wiz

aWZkM0E.jpg

I am currently tracking the wiring from the speaker/microphone etc on the front panel

It goes nowhere.......ends up in a neatly tied bundle.

Plug on the end looks like :

jz6H4P8.jpg

There is what I think is the corresponding set of pins, shown on page 6 of the manual....and numbered/described : 21 Front Panel Audio Header (HD_AUDIO1)

pic here :

O6OjqNc.jpg

Worth a chance ?

Hey Condobloke,

Cool.

It's happened to me before and I've always checked the bios when all else fails as it controls every piece of hardware.

Man that front panel header looks like a perfect match so I'd sure give it a try.

Nothing to lose and all to gain.

Great glad you have audio now and hopefully the front header will be working once plugged in.

Score one for teamwork. :cool::)

And beer does help. :p:D

I tried the audio header thingie.....no luck.

ended up with :
YLFe7uf.png

So....I disconnected it and gave it a miss.

I do wonder if there is a 'setting' somewhere to turn on to enable that front connector..

The wire lead that has the plug on in the first pic......actually has two plugs on it....they appear to be the same.

Hey Condobloke,

Hard to say you might look in pulse audio as it does sometimes give configure options for the audio controller.

You might also check the bios settings again for front panel audio headers being enabled.

Not to be negative it may be best to use the back jacks since they work and do some searching and see what may be found.

Some front headers aren't always plugin play with all motherboards.

Asus makes good motherboards and I own a few of them but their settings tend to be a bit fussy sometimes.

Not meaning to bail on you at the moment although Church breakfast to go to and the boss, you know Wife is waiting. :p;)

Catch ya in a little bit.

poorguy :)

I tried the audio header thingie.....no luck.

ended up with :
YLFe7uf.png

So....I disconnected it and gave it a miss.

I do wonder if there is a 'setting' somewhere to turn on to enable that front connector..

The wire lead that has the plug on in the first pic......actually has two plugs on it....they appear to be the same.
What I understood from the web instructions I had found was to try some of those different settings that you show in the screencap. Perhaps one of them would have worked. For me, it was the very first one.

Too much similarity for that plug to not be meant for the header on the mobo... or the other plug that is also available.

Good luck, Brian... I think you're close. @poorguy was right on the money with BIOS settings. :D

Cheers

Interesting times.
I set the bios again....enabled ....studied the two plugs....one is for HD, the other is for AC97

tried both...hd resulted in nothing...ac97 and the front header works ! trouble is...nothing else does and pulse audio crashed.

It wont restart...either via terminal or reboots...nada

I installed a different volume mixer called Kmix ......very slick setup....but not much happening there either !

So....I am about to shut down, remove the plug from the motherboard....turn the enabled front header off.....and be happy with the headphones plugged into the back of the pc.

If pulse audio continues to misbehave itself, I may try Kmix again.....although I suspect the ac97 setup had everything to do with pulse crashing

later.

Hey Condobloke,

Sounds as though you've made some progress although striking out.

My searching doesn't show anymore than what you've already found.

I believe at this point going back to a sure working configuration might be the best choice.

poorguy

Members online