sound problem on Windows after installation Ubuntu alongside it

M

mohammadreza

I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 along side windows 8 & updated all drivers in Ubuntu .then ,when I return to windows speaker works properly BUT when I plugin headset or headphon or even handsfree to laptop is not working anymore !!!!!
I check everything !! :-(
help me please.
Thanks

This is odd. Ubuntu should not do anything to Windows. I wonder if this is a Windows issue, or if it is something with Linux.

3 main possibilities:

-It is a Windows problem (Windows 8 updates itself silently by default, some updates can make your system misbehave).

-Your headphone jacks are troubled.

-Unlikely bios settings.

This issue has nothing to do with Linux.

Most likely Windows as Devyn and Yesyes mention, although depending on how you partitioned your drive when you made space for Ubuntu you may have written over a driver/firmware that controlled your audio jack.

1.) Does audio work on Ubuntu?

2.) Did you defrag your drive before partitioning?

It would be a hell of a bad luck to have specific driver files overwritten by partitioning that missed their fragmented spots...

But it's true that parted/gparted sometimes corrupt files of a fragmented Windows disk when you didn't split it with Windows itself.

For dual boot, in this case, the safest option is partitioning with Windows, unless the drive is perfectly de-fragmented (doubt it).

Anyway, if audio is working on Ubuntu, as MikeyD mentioned, you will be able to recover its function in Windows.

Thanks a lot .Audio works on Ubuntu but when I restart and use audio in windows sometimes it doesn't work .

Members online