sound problem on Windows after installation Ubuntu alongside it

M

mohammadreza

I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 along side windows 8 & updated all drivers in Ubuntu .then ,when I return to windows speaker works properly BUT when I plugin headset or headphon or even handsfree to laptop is not working anymore !!!!!
I check everything !! :-(
help me please.
Thanks

OP
D

DevynCJohnson

This is odd. Ubuntu should not do anything to Windows. I wonder if this is a Windows issue, or if it is something with Linux.

OP
Y

Yesyesloud

3 main possibilities:

-It is a Windows problem (Windows 8 updates itself silently by default, some updates can make your system misbehave).

-Your headphone jacks are troubled.

-Unlikely bios settings.

This issue has nothing to do with Linux.

OP
M

MikeyD

Most likely Windows as Devyn and Yesyes mention, although depending on how you partitioned your drive when you made space for Ubuntu you may have written over a driver/firmware that controlled your audio jack.

1.) Does audio work on Ubuntu?

2.) Did you defrag your drive before partitioning?

OP
Y

Yesyesloud

It would be a hell of a bad luck to have specific driver files overwritten by partitioning that missed their fragmented spots...

But it's true that parted/gparted sometimes corrupt files of a fragmented Windows disk when you didn't split it with Windows itself.

For dual boot, in this case, the safest option is partitioning with Windows, unless the drive is perfectly de-fragmented (doubt it).

Anyway, if audio is working on Ubuntu, as MikeyD mentioned, you will be able to recover its function in Windows.

OP
M

mohammadreza

Thanks a lot .Audio works on Ubuntu but when I restart and use audio in windows sometimes it doesn't work .

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Latest posts