Some websites not loading - Arch Linux

LaggyNacho

Reaction score
Credits
Hi there!
So yesterday I installed Arch Linux with KDE on an old computer and also in a virtual machine (VirtualBox). Both installations seem to work fine and I can use them regularly.

But there was one issue (on both installations): Many websites won't load. I can't even ping them. Websites like Youtube, Google, etc. work fine. But other ones like Reddit, Twitter, Github are just unable to load. Because of that I also can't install specific packages and apps.

What should I do to fix the issue? Thanks in advance.

A fresh default installation of ANY Linux should not block websites. I'd look at your router settings, especially firewall. Your ISP could be blocking them too, but that seems less likely than you misconfiguring your router or new Arch install.

Another possibility: If you are using a VPN, those websites might be blocking your VPN IP address. Try connecting to them without a VPN.

what browser are you using? Do you use a vpn? Are the installs fully updated?
I use firefox. No I do not use a VPN. Also all installs should be at the newest version.

More Details: So the browser replies with "unable to connect". Curl responds with a "curl: (7) Failed to connect to www.github.com port 80 after 5028 ms: Network is unreachable" and also ping replies with "Destination Net Unreachable". It basically doesn't connect at all. I also tried changing DNS-Server twice, but it did not work. Dig and nslookup do throw out standart outputs. My network seems to be fine. Also every other device (Windows, Android, etc.) (but not an Arch installation) seem to work in this network.

Refering to my local machine I am not aware of installing anything that could potentially block websites or similar. Also I did not touch my local firewall settings.

To my knowledge this somehow seems to be a routing issue in my network (not DNS issue).

A fresh default installation of ANY Linux should not block websites. I'd look at your router settings, especially firewall. Your ISP could be blocking them too, but that seems less likely than you misconfiguring your router or new Arch install.

Another possibility: If you are using a VPN, those websites might be blocking your VPN IP address. Try connecting to them without a VPN.
More Details: So the browser replies with "unable to connect". Curl responds with a "curl: (7) Failed to connect to www.github.com port 80 after 5028 ms: Network is unreachable" and also ping replies with "Destination Net Unreachable". It basically doesn't connect at all. I also tried changing DNS-Server twice, but it did not work. Dig and nslookup do throw out standart outputs. My network seems to be fine. Also every other device (Windows, Android, etc.) (but not an Arch installation) seem to work in this network.

Refering to my local machine I am not aware of installing anything that could potentially block websites or similar. Also I did not touch my local firewall settings.

To my knowledge this somehow seems to be a routing issue in my network (not DNS issue).

Those same websites work fine on your host system and what os is the host system? What type of networking do you have the vm's configured with and it may be useful the share the network configuration of the vm's?

For instance you say you cannot reach twitter.com. First I would do an nslookup of twitter.com. If it doesn't resolve then you will need to do things like look for an up stream firewall blocking. Since you are able to reach some sites Im guessing that is not the issue. Next if nslookup resolves twitter.com I would take the address returned and do a traceroute. From there you should be able to see how many hops you get before failing. Unless someone like you ISP is filtering or has a routing issue I suspect you will find that either the traffic does not leave your PC or dies at your gateway to the public Internet. I would also take a moment with your web browser and see if there are any plugins in play that may be causing an issue. You could try installing a different web browser and see if the problem continues or is browser specific.

I would also check to see if UFW is running on your machine. You may try to disable temporarily if enabled and see if that makes things work for you

Staff online

Members online