some issues with dell latitude d630 wireless on 13.10

S

snarky

i just installed unbuntu 13.10 on my dell latitude d630. im new to linux and dont know too much about it. ive researched a few solutions to this problem, but none have worked/i couldnt complete the steps.

one main problem is that when im using the terminal, every once in a while it just stops and when i try to close it, it warns me that a process is running.

ive been trying to get ndisgtk to install the appropriate driver, but the terminal does that thing and when i tried to just go though the online sources, it just froze on the side bar saying "preparing to install" or some such and made no progress.

should i just try a different os? or is there still hope for umbuntu?

im not sure what info you will need to help me, so just tell me the commands and ill post results.

thanks,

snarky

Suggestion: Use the less resource-hungry LTS versions (see link below) on resource-restricted systems such as yours, snarky -- lubuntu 12.04 or Linux Lite, should you desire to stick to a 'buntu or a 'buntu-derived distro, respectively.

I have a D630 running Ubuntu 13.10. I upgraded it to 4 GB memory, 500 GB 7200 RPM disk, and it has a Core2 Duo processor. I do development against a local MySQL database - but I really don't need that much memory. I used to have 1 GB and it still ran well.

My machine runs like a champ, and I don't see the issues you have. I have occasional issues with the video driver, but hey - it's a 7 year old laptop.

Maybe a validation would be to create a bootable CD with either Kubuntu or Mint or something else and see if you still have the problem. I'm thinking your laptop may be getting "tired".

7 years old! My laptop here is 10-14 years old!

I'm not fully sure yet.
when im using the terminal, every once in a while it just stops and when i try to close it, it warns me that a process is running.

One possible cause is Package Management. All Package Managers use just one database. Therefore you can only use one Package Management Tool at a time - dpkg, apt, Aptitude, Synaptic, Ubuntu Software Manager. If you try to run more than one at a time they will conflict with each other.

For general information about Ubuntu Packages (and Repositories) look here:
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Saucy_Packages_and_Repositories