Some help please

Daz1967

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all,

I am completely new to Linux, I have installed it on my windows 10 pc on a separate HDD so I can install raspberry pie to play retro games.
The install went great but it doesn't see my WIFI card, I cant hardwire it because the pc is upstairs.

This is my WIFI card ASUS PCE-AC68 Wireless PCIe Card

Ubuntu doesn't see it at all and because the PC is not internet-connected I cant update using the internet.

I have no idea of install commands or even if there is a file I can grab to install to make it work, I have tried what I thought would do it but no-look, I get all sorts of error like git not found.

Please can someone point me to what I need to download, were in Linux to put the file do I unzip the files and the commands I need to get the WIFI card working.

Thank you all for your time.

Ubuntu doesn't see it at all and because the PC is not internet-connected I cant update using the internet.
Hi @Daz1967 and welcome to the forum :) Open a terminal and type
Code:
ip link
in the output check whether the parameter STATE it's up or down and reply back with that info. Also, you could try with the dhcpcd command, in the terminal type
Code:
sudo dhcpcd
type your sudo password when asked, hit enter and see if that woks.

Hope this helps! :)

Some additional information would be very helpful.
In the Terminal of your Ubuntu run this and post the results:
Code:
inxi -Fxz
If you input this "ASUS PCE-AC68 Wireless PCIe Card + Linux" into your search engine there are some posts which indicate people have got this card to work under Linux. There are also some useful links in those posts.

Hi thank you both for helping, i have run the commands you suggested and these are the terminal messages i get, Thanks again.

20200327_122935.jpg
20200327_150013.jpg
20200327_150047.jpg
20200327_150153.jpg
20200327_150205.jpg

The first command is lspci not 1spci . The first character is a L (lowercase) not a one.
The second command is similar. lsusb, not 1susb ( an L is the first character).

@Daz1967 first, there are a few typos on some of those commands and that's why you're getting the "command not found" error. Install dhcpcd with
Code:
sudo apt-get install dhcpcd
once installed run
Code:
sudo dhcpcd
again. The ip link command shows that the adapter state is down so it won't connect. Try with "dhcpcd" which will create the interface and hopefully fix the issue.

Check your spelling. Commands must be typed exactly. Use copy/paste if need be.

Thank you for all this help, The wifi adapter works fine on my windows pc, which is the same pc it just wont work in Linux. Please see below pictures and thank you again.

20200327_154005.jpg
20200327_154050.jpg
20200327_154216.jpg

Looks like you have a broadcom BCM4360. Looks like it is "on board", not a USB dongle.

Hi the MOtherboard has onboard wifi but it is disabled in the bios, I have added a better wifi card into one of the PCI slots internally for faster internet, It works great in window son the same pc but isn't working on Linux, Ubuntu is installed on a second harddrive in the same pc, This is the card I have.

ASUS PCE-AC68 Wireless PCIe Card

Hi the MOtherboard has onboard wifi but it is disabled in the bios, I have added a better wifi card into one of the PCI slots internally for faster internet, It works great in window son the same pc but isn't working on Linux, Ubuntu is installed on a second harddrive in the same pc, This is the card I have.

ASUS PCE-AC68 Wireless PCIe Card
See the links in post #3

The Asus PCE AC68 is the broadcom BCM4360. (To me PCIE is the same thing as on-board).
If the "other" wifi card is disabled. It won't show up in the lspci list.

If it was me... I would try re-enabling the other wifi chipset in the BIOS.
Then boot from Linux and see if the wifi works. (at least do the lspci command again).

Now.. maybe this will mess up Wifi in windows. So you might have to disable it again
when you boot into windows, but it's worth a shot.

I don't use windows anymore, but I think there is a control panel for networking, where you can disable an adapter in windows, without having to disable it in the BIOS.

If it was me... I would try re-enabling the other wifi chipset in the BIOS.
I was thinking the same thing.
Now.. maybe this will mess up Wifi in windows.
Normally I would not have thought it would.
But with the recent 'snafu' with Win 10 and wireless connections - who knows!? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The thing is the driver. Linux wifi drivers are getting better and more importantly there are drivers for more wifi chips coming along all the time. But not all.

So a "better" wifi card doesn't guarantee Linux compatibility. The best thing to do is research first, then buy. In almost every case, a wifi card supported in Linux will be supported in Windows, also. Here's a decent explanation of what's going on and a few recommendations. I bought the Panda PAU09 because the driver for the chip in this wifi adapter is included in the kernel; no downloads, no compile from source, no dragging a cable from your Linux box to the router that may be on the other side of the house. It's just there. So maybe a lesson learned about Linux, stuff exists, you just have to find it first - then buy it.

The PAU09 was not cheap, but not overly pricey also. But, maybe next time if I'm looking for a better fit with higher speed 802.11 specs, I might save my pennies and get something like the Alfa AWUS036ACH mentioned in the article.

Oh, yeah, and I always have a coil of cat 5 sitting in the corner if I really have to connect to the router on the other side of the wall.

Hi all, you are amazing i enables on board wiki and bam it works fine, Thank you so much

Just got to sort my sound out now :) and duel boot it i installed it in a seperate hdd to windows 10 but it cant find windows 10 what i do grub update.

Members online