[Solved]wifi not displaying

SrcEngine

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I am very new to Linux. I have just installed Mint 20.2. Everything seems to be working except that wifi does not seem to show up in the networking section.
IMG_0117 (1).jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

I could not find much help googling. Any help would be appreciated.

Ok. that is part of the story, you should include details of your machine with your question [but lets bypass that for now,,
In a terminal [thats the black icon , bottom left with $_ in the corner] type in inxi -N [inxispace-N]
copy and paste the results back here.

Bwiz

Thanks for the reply.

The output is:
Network:
Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
driver: r8169
Device-2: MEDIATEK driver: N/A
Device-3: ASUSTek ROG GLADIUS III WIRELESS type: USB
driver: hid-generic, usbhid

It is a dual-boot with windows, and wifi is working just fine on win10.

Can you help me?
Ok. that is part of the story, you should include details of your machine with your question [but lets bypass that for now,,
In a terminal [thats the black icon , bottom left with $_ in the corner] type in inxi -N [inxispace-N]
copy and paste the results back here.

Bwiz

It is a Mediatek wireless you will have to either upgrade the kernel to 5.14 or if you know the model number of your Mediatek you can possibly get the firmware blob file from here - https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/mediatek
For kernel 5.14 I would recommend TuxInvader mainline kernel for Ubuntu which is here - https://launchpad.net/~tuxinvader/+archive/ubuntu/lts-mainline
uname -r gives 5.14.9-051409-generic
The kernel is already 5.14. I still do not see any wireless interface.

According to Ask Ubuntu that wireless card will not play with Ubuntu 20.04 and that is what Mint is based upon. Even upgrading the Kernel to 5.14 did not work. They only got it working after a complete upgrade to Ubuntu 21.04. Which may be your only choice in the debian stream of Distros you could try MX with the AHS kernel but not sure that will work either. Manjaro may support it worth a try in a live usb. Some hardware just is not supported that well in Linux yet.
Your other option and an easier one may be to get a usb wifi stick that is known to work with linux.
Good luck.

Stupid as it may be, just drop in the outputs of
lsusb and ip a. I'll tell you why, is that your WiFi chip is recognised as a network device, and that being the case, you would simply need to enable it (ip link set <blah> up). Otherwise, we can see what to do (if anything) about the usb interface.

Please copy and paste this command in a terminal and post the output here.
Code:
lspci | egrep -i --color 'network|ethernet|wireless|wi-fi'
also the output of
Code:
rfkill list

uname -r gives 5.14.9-051409-generic
The kernel is already 5.14. I still do not see any wireless interface.
Did you look at the firmware blob to see if your model is listed there?
Also what is the output of
Code:
sudo lshw -class network

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Ask Ubuntu that wireless card will not play with Ubuntu 20.04 and that is what Mint is based upon. Even upgrading the Kernel to 5.14 did not work. They only got it working after a complete upgrade to Ubuntu 21.04. Which may be your only choice in the debian stream of Distros you could try MX with the AHS kernel but not sure that will work either. Manjaro may support it worth a try in a live usb. Some hardware just is not supported that well in Linux yet.
Your other option and an easier one may be to get a usb wifi stick that is known to work with linux.
Good luck.
manjaro worked!!! Thank you so much!
Also thanks to everybody else who replied.

Glad you found a solution. enjoy! ;)

Members online

Latest posts