[solved] Where to add MX record / DNS system, parent and slave zones

postcd

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

i am sending an e-mail out of my server via PHP mail function and the mail filtering system used by my server provider (externally, out of my reach) is complaining about sender address being [email protected]

Exim fail log: "You do not have sufficient privileges to send mail to this address. Please authenticate and try again."

I do not know what is the exact reason that it do not like that sender address. Filtering provider told me the FROM address is the issue.

(the hostname.domain.tld is FQDN, has PTR record, fully resolve to IP and vice versa)

When i check that e-mail address at http://proxy2.de/email-validation.php it says "The domain hostname.domain.tld has no MX record."

But i do not know where i need to create MX record. I already have it on Cloudflare (parent) and also on slave: my server. The domain.tld is hosted on different server than one from which i am sending e-mail, but hostname.domain.tld A record point to right IP (one from which e-mail is sent).

level 1 - domain (namesilo)
level 2 - cloudflare DNS zone
- hostname.domain.tld goes to IP 1.2.3.4
- domain.tld A record goes to 6.7.8.9
- mail.domain.tld is 1.2.3.4

Should i be creating MX at cloudflare, at 1.2.3.4 or at 6.7.8.9 ?

e-mail [email protected] is sent from 1.2.3.4
Server is Dovecot 2.2.33.2

mxtoolbox says "Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner" as a warning, but i do not know why it should be big problem.

Do you have any idea if i can anyhow tweak my DNS configuration so the filtering system managed by my provider is satisfied?

Last edited:

If you do a 'whois' on your domain name you'll be able to tell where to place the MX record - at the bottom of the results, it'll say 'Name Server: blah.com'..

To check what the current setting for the MX record is, you can use dig:

Code:
dig blah.com mx

The whois was showing cloudflare nameservers. I have added MX record you suggested, i did it on Cloudflare.

hostname 119 IN MX 0 hostname.domain.tld.

dig hostname.domain.tld MX
;; ANSWER SECTION:
hostname.domain.tld. 119 IN MX 0 hostname.domain.tld.

And problem at http://proxy2.de/email-validation.php disappeared.

But issue was not solved, what solved it was that in my control panel (WHM from cPanel) was enabled following option:
Reject remote mail sent to the server's hostname
This option allows you to reject messages in which the recipient exists as an address of your server's primary hostname. In general, the primary hostname, a common target for spammers, should not receive remote mail.

that option was rejecting e-mails to system e-mail accounts like [email protected] and the mentioned mail filtering system used by my server provider (*.antispamcloud.com) require that sender is allowed to accept incoming e-mail.

Thank you for help

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts