[SOLVED] Watch out! Timeshift is broken in Fedora 35

gvisoc

Reaction score
Credits
The latest versions of the disk utility collection of packages to which lsblk belongs, is breaking timeshift.

This is because Timeshift's search for partitions functionality relies on the output of lsblk output to detect the partitions. A change in that output's format is breaking the tool.

Upgrading to Fedora 35 will break timeshift as it updates lsblk.

If you're heavily dependent on timeshift, consider waiting as you will lose access to the snapshot you may have created while on 34 to be able to roll it back. I've suffered this in my own case.

From this issue in GitHub you'll be able to dig a bit more into this (yes, there are a couple of comments from me there).

Last edited:

@gvisoc

Mate, this from Reddit, just spotted.

In response to your dilemma, I installed Fedora 35 yesterday, I use EXT4 and it had the same problem.

I will try the suggested solution shortly, but if you wish to first, by all means.

Chris

Update

In my case I got an error

commands listed below are not available on this system crontab

This was resolved with using

Code:
sudo dnf install crontabs

... note the "s" on crontabs

Since, I have successfully taken a snapshot, and the proof of the pudding is in the restore, so tomorrow I will blow away the install and restore.

Back then

Wiz

BTW I have commented on my extra step at Reddit.

No joy so far, in restoring a functional install. :confused:

Both with and without using Timeshift's advanced option to rebuild the initramfs, I am left being flicked to the Maintenance mode in a tty environment.

I could try chrooting into it from a live stick and rebuilding grub, but I don't know that it is worth the effort.

It may be best to wait until the lsblk package is updated to remedy it.

Hope you have better luck.

Cheers

Wiz
BTW @gvisoc , you may want to consider snapper as an alternative to Timeshift with regard to BTRFS systems.

Fedora uses BTRFS by default, and there's snapper, which can do the job of saving system's snapshots pretty well. However, in my experience openSUSE + BTRFS + snapper is a joy; you can select a snapshot from grub's screen to boot to.

LOL, figured if I mentioned snapper your radar would kick in, friend Tolkem. ;)

Avagudweegend

So there was bad news and good news, LOL.

I could try chrooting into it from a live stick and rebuilding grub, but I don't know that it is worth the effort.

... and in fact I did and rebuilt my Fedora entry. I was then ambushed at the pass with the login screen, where I went into a login loop!!

Now I can get around a login loop (Ubuntu can be a culprit, sometimes), but instead I went back to the drawing board, and in the fullness of time, a solution presented itself.

A Google search under

fedora 35 timeshift

provided fresh meat, in this

https://ask.fedoraproject.org/t/fedora-35-fresh-install-timeshift-only-live-usb-mode-error/17847/2

and the second link in that, this

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/oprizal/timeshift-upstream/

Now, be aware that COPR (Cool Other Packages Respository) is a community-based group in a similar way to how the AUR is to Arch. Not official, but usually works if you are game to try it.

This involved rowing my boat upstream over what Fedora had to offer, which was an old 20.03 version of Timeshift, to get the 21.09 version I am used to elsewhere.

Works like a charm, both in snapshotting, AND restoring, and I am writing from my fixed up Fedora.

HTH @gvisoc , if not, it may help others, and I will be documenting this in full at my Timeshift Thread here

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

Cheers and

Avagudweegend

Wiz

Sorry, I wasn't very much online these days.

I have been trying to build a version to check whether or not my snapshots were still somewhere, but I couldn't make it work.

There's not much drama so far, as I mainly use Timeshift if I'm playing with the privates of the system, which is not happening much these days anyways; what I use very often (daily) is duplicity / deja-dup for my work in progress' backups.

So I guess will stay alert on this thread should you find a solution, and getting updates promptly to see if Fedora maintainers publish a fix.

I like the new avatar, compadre :)

Members online