[SOLVED] USB controllers breaking.

bananana

Reaction score
Credits
I have recently started installing Arco-Linux.
this first real experience with GNU/Linux outside of virtual machines (in Virtual Machines everything worked, and still works fine), and I am stuck on burning the ISO file to a USB stick. Every time the burning finishes it fails and my USB controllers break, they recognize my mouse and keyboard, but not my USB sticks, this happened every way I tried it (all combination in details). This problem only fixes after I delete the USB controllers and reboot the system.

Details:
I sadly still use windows 10, the latest version, they don't say which one.
My laptop is an HP pavilion x360 14".
My ISO file is the Arco-Linux v22.12.02.
The burners I used are: Rufus version 3.21 all default settings; balenaEtcher version 1.10.2 all default settings
My USB sticks are: Kingston DataTravel100G3 32GB; and one with the word KUTOSZ written on it's side, it's 16GB can't give more detail about it.

I first tried Rufus with the Kingston drive, then Etcher with Kingston, and repeated this cycle with the other USB drive of mine.

If any other details are needed I can give them, just please I need some help.

EDIT: The problem has been resolved.
I downloaded Ventoy and the Kingston drive did fail again at the end of the process when I went in the bootloader I saw that it became a bootable drive, the drive with kutosz on it.. well it will rest in peace hopefully.
I then had to disable secure boot and I could load into Arco just fine, but I got scared so I ended up going back to windows for a couple last days to back my files up and to say goodbye to this piece of crap I got attached to.

Last edited:

Welcome to the forums.
Rufus has known problems for over a year, Etcher is usually OK
If it is a W10 or 11 Machine, have you disabled windows quick start, and secure boot?
Are you using a good quality new pen-drive [old ones are fine for transferring/storing files, but often give installation problems for the ISO] use my "how do I guide" to make sure you haven't missed a step

I recently created a working, bootable USB with Rufus from Windows 10 using a Gentoo iso. but I had to select DD mode to get it to work. I don't know if that's what you did or if that helps...

You could try ventoy too, never had problems with that.

Ventoy

Your 2016/17 HP should not cause many problems

Welcome to the forums.
Rufus has known problems for over a year, Etcher is usually OK
If it is a W10 or 11 Machine, have you disabled windows quick start, and secure boot?
Are you using a good quality new pen-drive [old ones are fine for transferring/storing files, but often give installation problems for the ISO] use my "how do I guide" to make sure you haven't missed a step
Thank you for the reply! I will read the guide, my pen-drives are around 4 to 5 year old ones, I will try buying a new one as fast as I can go to a bigger store, and I will try disabling those setting you have mentioned, and thank you again for your response, not a singe community forum was this fast to reply to any of my problems! This means a lot to me!

I recently created a working, bootable USB with Rufus from Windows 10 using a Gentoo iso. but I had to select DD mode to get it to work. I don't know if that's what you did or if that helps...
Thanks for your response, I will try selecting that setting!

Balena etcher has never failed me for this purpose, what do you mean your controller keeps breaking?

I did have almost similar problem with old stick, couldn't burn nothing to it anymore. Always failed and even windows didn't detect it correctly and tried to format but failed, 100% dead usb on my case could be yours too.

not a singe community forum was this fast to reply to any of my problems! This means a lot to me!
I monitor this and the Parrot forums [and non Linux ones] from 7am to 10-30 pm my time, but there are times when I have to go out, you were lucky, I had just finished dinner when you posted, some questions may take a lot longer to get answers for, as our members are spread across all time zones.

@bananana ....i have just copied and pasted your edit to here....edits are not always seen by people who have already read the topic.

EDIT: The problem has been resolved.
I downloaded Ventoy and the Kingston drive did fail again at the end of the process when I went in the bootloader I saw that it became a bootable drive, the drive with kutosz on it.. well it will rest in peace hopefully.
I then had to disable secure boot and I could load into Arco just fine, but I got scared so I ended up going back to windows for a couple last days to back my files up and to say goodbye to this piece of crap I got attached to.

Members online

Latest posts