<SOLVED> updating repositories

smooth_buddha

Reaction score
Credits
hey guys when updating and upgrading repositories i run the command sudo apt update then afterward sudo apt upgrade . what i want to know is the package managers apt and apt-get are these classes as two seperate repositories???. so do i also need to run sudo apt-get update and sudo as well as sudo apt update????

i read somewhere the dpkg is the backend for the apt /apt-get , does this also require sudo dpkg update >>>> upgrade???? or does sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade take care of all the package management within debian (im on linux mint)????

so basically is sudo apt update the same as doing:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt update
sudo dpkg update

It is my understanding that all three are tools for manipulating software packages and repositories.
dpkg is the 'granddaddy' and probably more full featured but was considered more difficult for the 'non-techie' user.
'apt-get' became vogue as it was considered easier to use.
'apt' has now become the favored tool for installing and removing packages and repositories.
They all do basically the same thing.
So no, you do not need to run apt, apt-get, and dpkg. Any ONE should do the job. But there are times when dpkg may offer more options or arguments, have more features, and may present the information in a different way.
Most graphical package managers are using one of these tools to do the work behind the scene.
As far as I know, "apt" is the recommended 'go-to' tool to use these days.

It is my understanding that all three are tools for manipulating software packages and repositories.
dpkg is the 'granddaddy' and probably more full featured but was considered more difficult for the 'non-techie' user.
'apt-get' became vogue as it was considered easier to use.
'apt' has now become the favored tool for installing and removing packages and repositories.
They all do basically the same thing.
So no, you do not need to run apt, apt-get, and dpkg. Any ONE should do the job. But there are times when dpkg may offer more options or arguments, have more features, and may present the information in a different way.
Most graphical package managers are using one of these tools to do the work behind the scene.
As far as I know, "apt" is the recommended 'go-to' tool to use these days.

im working through a system admin book at the mo that mentions dpkg is the backend and apt and apt-get are the front end for dpkg. Am i correct in saying dpkg is more for downloading source code and doing compiling yourself where as apt and apt-get do all this work for you??

also when i search repsoitory if i search using command apt-cache search <program_name>

is this also searching the apt-get repository and aptitude???

Last edited:
Am i correct in saying dpkg is more for downloading source code and doing compiling yourself where as apt and apt-get do all this work for you??

apt-get downloads packages that are in a predefined repository.
Generally this is the closest mirror to your computer. Not "all" packages are in
Debian, Mint or Ubuntu repositories.

A few examples of this are Microsoft Teams for Linux, Elasticsearch Beats, and
AWX (Ansible). So you go to their website, manually download the .deb
package to your computer and use dpkg to install it from a local package on your computer,
rather than a remote repository.

It has very little to do with if a package is pre-compiled or not.

Last edited:
im working through a system admin book at the mo that mentions dpkg is the backend and apt and apt-get are the front end for dpkg.
That's one way to put it :) As I said, apt-get and apt are attempts at making dpkg easier to use (to the best of my knowledge).
Am i correct in saying dpkg is more for downloading source code and doing compiling yourself where as apt and apt-get do all this work for you??
I don't think I would put it quite that way. dpkg is for installing and uninstalling software, managing repositories, and related operations. It was felt that dpkg has so many options that it was more difficult for the 'average' user to use and so apt-get and apt evolved with only the most commonly used and needed functions.
also when i search repsoitory if i search using command apt-cache search <program_name>
is this also searching the apt-get repository and aptitude???
I believe whichever you use they are all searching the same repositories you have set up. A repository is simply a place where software is stored for download. It is usually on another computer (server) somewhere but can also be a 'local' disk or even a CD. You just tell your package manager the location or address of the repository and it will search it.

Members online

No members online now.