[SOLVED] Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS fails to boot properly after deleting partitions

superboy2k6

Reaction score
Credits
I don't know where to post this but here's my issue:

I had Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS with Windows 8.1 dual boot. Today I accidentally deleted all the partitons in that hard drive except my ubuntu partition. I even deleted my system partition. But I had backed up my home folder before rebooting the system.

When I rebooted the system, it tried to boot to Windows 8.1 but it failed and rebooted over and over again. WEIRD. So I went ahead and flashed Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS in my USB and booted it. I installed it using the option "install alongside Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS" option hoping that the grub boot menu would come back.

It did show up Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS but when I booted it up, it says that I'm in emergency mode. What to do now?? Is it possible to make my other Ubuntu as same as the one that is corrupted because I have my home folder backed up and I can still access the other partiton???

-Need URGENT HELP, superboy

It has been a long time since I've dual booted anything on one drive.

I've had this problem where I had accidentally remove the Linux partition and to fix the problem I had to totally reinstall my Linux distro which fixed my problem.

Uncertain if this would work in your particular situation although may be worth a try.

I believe you will have to remove all of the existing Linux partitions but uncertain.

If you have a Windows 8.0 / 8.1 installation dvd you may try booting from that and see if you can repair Windows 8.0 / 8.1 or reinstall the Windows 8.0 / 8.1 boot system.

If that is successful then you can reinstall your Linux dual boot again.

The output from the above cmd will show us what partitions you do have.

I actually reinstalled my whole system. I copied all my files and pasted them into a new installation. I luckily had a lot of .deb files so I installed them and now it works perfectly. :)

I actually reinstalled my whole system. I copied all my files and pasted them into a new installation. I luckily had a lot of .deb files so I installed them and now it works perfectly. :)
Glad to hear a fresh installed helped.

Latest posts