[SOLVED ]startx [xServer] command line from console

A

Andy_Crowd

Hi!

I am using "sudo bash" to avid write sudo all the time.

I had fun to make full reinstall (with config files) of X11 and all X Servers that I had... BlackBox, FluxBox, Cinnamon. And I installed GDM for login screen where I can chose which client I want start.

1st problem is that I have .Xauthority time out sometimes when I start from console. I had to rebuild that "X cookie" to be able start X session. But is become empty and I do not know how to fix work good. I know that I must use ."xauth" to do it but I do not know how.

2nd is that I can use startx in cosole with out loading any X Server and I getting a yellow console in the top left corner where I can write what I want to start for example: fluxbox , and then it starts but yellow window still left and I cannot start any more terminal window there, it closed automaticaly. With Crtl+Alt+F2 I can shutdown it and go back to console. Other way it to write t.e. "startx fluxbox" then it start fluxbox but the yellow winow still left. To use normal them again I have to restart GDM login GUI screen and login as normal. It is not working even if I using "startx blackbox & disown", then it shows only pid of session, and I can use kill 'pid' to stop it.

!!!!!! How can I use the startx same way as a GUI loging with mutiple xServers without any problems? !!!!!!

You fail to understand the underlying concepts and to differentiate a window manager from the xserver.

You should not be doing "sudo bash". Use su for this.

If you want to start different window managers you need a display manager. Or you can write a script which cycles between different .xinitrc files. Do some reading.

If you're actually doing startx as root - don't do it. The xserver should never be run as root and is not designed to be run as root.

An X window manager is a window manager which runs on top of the X Window System, a windowing system mainly used on Unix-like systems.

In computing, the X Window System (commonly known as X11, based on its current major version being 11, or shortened to simply X, and sometimes informally X-Windows) is the system-level software infrastructure for the windowing GUI on Linux, *BSD, and other UNIX-like operating systems; it is designed to handle both local displays, as well as displays sent across a network. More formally, it is a computer software system and network protocol that provides a basis for graphical user interfaces (GUIs) and rich input device capability for networked computers. It creates a hardware abstraction layer where software is written to use a generalized set of commands, allowing for device independence and reuse of programs on any computer that implements X.

Hi!
I wrote a little wrong in my first post about what I mean but I found solution for my problem.
e.g.
Code:
## Start IceWM
startx /usr/bin/icewm-session
## Start OpenBox
startx /usr/bin/openbox-session
## Start LXDE
startx /usr/bin/startlxde