(SOLVED) Source Code Not Configuring

naterade

Reaction score
Credits
Hello again, friends. I'm new to Linux, and I've recently made a few attempts to compile some software from source, since it was the only way I could find to get them. I tried it with Git, which worked great. But when I tried the same method with neofetch, it failed. Same story with htop. I think I'm doing it wrong, as I'm still a noob using Mint. I've included an image of my terminal, which I hope will help.
IMG_20211229_103356134.jpg

gvisoc

Reaction score
Credits
Is there any file named "INSTALL" inside the source code? Have you read it?

On a side note, what do you mean with that you needed to compile Git? Git is part of all distributions' package manager, as far as I know.

dos2unix

Reaction score
Credits
Neofetch isn't code that needs to be compiled. It's a bash script.
To prove this, type...
file ~/Downloads/neofetch-7.1.0/neofetch

All you have to do is...
chmod 755 neofetch.
Then ./neofetch

OP
N

naterade

Reaction score
Credits
Is there any file named "INSTALL" inside the source code? Have you read it?

On a side note, what do you mean with that you needed to compile Git? Git is part of all distributions' package manager, as far as I know.
I actually didn't. In retrospect, it seems somewhat obvious. And also, I only compiled Git as practice. Because I have had issues with installing new software, I followed a tutorial on code compilation, I followed the tutorial to a "t". I will look for an "INSTALL" file first thing tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

OP
N

naterade

Reaction score
Credits
Neofetch isn't code that needs to be compiled. It's a bash script.
To prove this, type...
file ~/Downloads/neofetch-7.1.0/neofetch

All you have to do is...
chmod 755 neofetch.
Then ./neofetch
Interesting. I will have to try this first thing tomorrow. And I'm sure this will sound silly, so you'll have to forgive my ignorance. I don't entirely understand the difference, how do I make the distinction from codes and scripts?

OP
N

naterade

Reaction score
Credits
Depending on the distro you're using, neofetch may very well be in your default repos.

Something like 'sudo apt install neofetch'.
Thank you! It seems that I was initially using an incorrect apt command to get the package.

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Latest posts