[SOLVED] Some websites not loading in Linux

Adithyansm

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, everyone have a good day,

I was bored with the old vlc skin and wanted to download some new skins, So I went to the vlc webpage and it was not working. I thought It was my network issue but when I tried in windows it works perfectly fine. I tried in 3 browsers (EDGE, FIREFOX, CHROME)but non of it worked.
1.png
2.png
3.png

So if you guys know any solution it would be a great help.

Last edited:

The warning is usually caused by one of two things, either the site you're trying to contact has a known security problem, or more commonly has an out of date certificate. Other problems could be a regional or local lock on the site.
I have just gone to https/vidieolan.org and it was working just fine [from the UK]

The warning is usually caused by one of two things, either the site you're trying to contact has a known security problem, or more commonly has an out of date certificate. Other problems could be a regional or local lock on the site.
I have just gone to https/vidieolan.org and it was working just fine [from the UK]
But it works on windows completely fine ! and the site is working right?? so what is the problem

As I said absolutely fine for me, on Firefox from the UK.

As I said absolutely fine for me, on Firefox from the UK.
But it works on the same network in INDIA so I assume the problem is with my Linux machine:confused:

I'm not sure but i think its something related to SSL of the website. Another guess is with DNS of the website, but I'm almost sure there's nothing wrong with your Linux. Can you visit other websites without any problem?

SH*** im not connecting now.

sorry.. stumpy fingers... videolan.org

its working for me

then i can only think it is something to do with your security setting in the browser

then i can only think it is something to do with your security setting in the browser
Okay will give it a try but I want to why know all three browsers acting weirdly

I'm not getting a certificate error for that same website you are having problems with, also using Firefox. With Firefox click on the lock icon where it says "Not Secure", then going to "More information" and then click on "View Certificate". You should get a page with information about the certificate for www.videolan.org, make a screenshot and share it here.

Here is the certificate
4.png
5.png
6.png

Looks like your provider is blocking the domain or some other form of blocking, this is what it should look like.
2022-02-22_16_08_32.jpeg

You could try changing dns servers in your network configuration, if they blocked it on dns level than changing to another dns provider should give you access to the website again.

Looks like your provider is blocking the domain or some other form of blocking, this is what it should look like.
View attachment 11855
You could try changing dns servers in your network configuration, if they blocked it on dns level than changing to another dns provider should give you access to the website again.
But i am using google DNS and the same website work fine in windows and android on the same network.

But i am using google DNS and the same website work fine in windows and android on the same network.
It isn't a Linux problem because you are getting a wrong certificate, seems like something is in between you and that website. Linux just doesn't serve you a wrong certificate. When you visit a website your browser requests an SSL certificate from the web-server and then your browser loads the page, the connection then gets verified by the Root certificates installed in your browser or on the system. So since you are getting a wrong certificate there is something in between you and that web-server that is serving you the wrong certificate. Are you using a proxy server anywhere or using a vpn connection?

Last edited:

Members online