[solved] Revert Auto Login Option

tinfoil-hat

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I chose Login without password in Mint installation and want to make it ask for password again.
my /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

[Seat:*]
autologin-user=anon
greeter-show-manual-login=true

Which Linux mint are you using?.....LM21.1 ?

Click on menu...type in login window

click on users......shift "allow manual login" to ON

Reboot

Click on menu...type in login window

click on users......shift "allow manual login" to ON

Reboot
Doesn't seem possible
Bildschirmfoto vom 2023-03-24 04-52-38.png

you did say you are using Linux mint 21.1 (cinnamon )........Yes ?

owwww.....that was close !

Great minds do indeed think alike !

Crossed beams, Bro' - boom

What I find amusing is that I went in the opposite direction. I do not like those login screens that reveal all the users on that system. I prefer that the user must know and enter the correct username. Fortunately, you can find that setting in Linux Mint Cinnamon.

To hide the list of users at the login prompt and force the user to enter their username, do the following:
  • Launch the "Login Window" application. (In Cinnamon, you can find it under "Administration" not "Prefferences".)
  • Click the Users tab.
  • Enable "Hide the user list *".
  • Reboot your Linux Mint Cinnamon system.

My /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf now looks like this:
Code:
greeter-hide-users=false
I think it's way easier to edit a config file than to browse to guis, that have another language

My /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf now looks like this:
Code:
greeter-hide-users=false
I think it's way easier to edit a config file than to browse to guis, that have another language
I have no issue with editing config files versus using a GUI. Pick whichever method you wish; they are comparable. I do both.

(My guess is that the GUI solution probably appeared first when I searched for how to disable the list of users at the login prompt. It was a few weeks ago that I decided to switch from Ubuntu to Linux Mint as my "desktop Linux" ... for now. I have been trying several other current distros as well.)

I like articles which provide both a GUI solution and a CLI solution, hence my linking to that article, the User can decide.

I have done extensive work with the lightdm conf files over the last two to three years, and they can vary a bit depending on the distro as to where the relevant lightdm.conf file is and sometimes you even need to build it, but

is usually a pivotal component.

I also use Nano extensively.

Cheers

Wiz

Members online