{SOLVED}problem in installing HEASoft in kali and Manjaro linux

Since Manjaro is an Arch based distribution you can install it from AUR.
For Kali compile it from source according to the instructions they provide on their website which you already linked yourself. Why would you want to run this software on Kali? Kali is a Security/Pentesting distribution not a distribution for scientific computing.

Last edited:
i have completed step Prerequisite packages: but i could not understand where to run Building the software: and Initialization: commands by replacing usr with my name raman.

For building all you have to do is the following, set the following variables as it shown there after you have installed the correct packages. Run these as normal user, make sure the paths exist on your system.
Code:
export CC=/usr/bin/gcc
export CXX=/usr/bin/g++
export FC=/usr/bin/gfortran
export PERL=/usr/bin/perl
export PYTHON=/usr/bin/python
Next enter the location where you extracted the software and then enter that directory and do the following commands, and run these as normal user as well.
Code:
$ cd heasoft-6.28/BUILD_DIR/
./configure > config.out 2>&1
make > build.log 2>&1
make install > install.log 2>&1
Then set the variable according to where you have installed heasoft.
Code:
export HEADAS=/path/to/your/installed/heasoft-6.28/(PLATFORM)
. $HEADAS/headas-init.sh

Last edited:
what should i type in place of (PLATFORM) for example-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-libc2.29
can you explain the meaning and work of all steps clearly so that i could tell other people in video on youtube?

Last edited:
raman@kali:~$ export CC=/usr/bin/gcc
raman@kali:~$ export CXX=/usr/bin/g++
raman@kali:~$ export FC=/usr/bin/gfortran
raman@kali:~$ export PERL=/usr/bin/perl
raman@kali:~$ export PYTHON=/usr/bin/python
raman@kali:~$ cd /home/raman
raman@kali:~$ cd /home/raman/heasoft-6.28
raman@kali:~/heasoft-6.28$ cd heasoft-6.28/BUILD_DIR/
bash: cd: heasoft-6.28/BUILD_DIR/: No such file or directory
raman@kali:~/heasoft-6.28$ cd
raman@kali:~$ cd heasoft-6.28/BUILD_DIR/
raman@kali:~/heasoft-6.28/BUILD_DIR$ ./configure > config.out 2>&1
raman@kali:~/heasoft-6.28/BUILD_DIR$ make > build.log 2>&1
raman@kali:~/heasoft-6.28/BUILD_DIR$ make install > install.log 2>&1
raman@kali:~/heasoft-6.28/BUILD_DIR$ export HEADAS=/home/raman/
raman@kali:~/heasoft-6.28/BUILD_DIR$ HEADAS/headas-init.sh
bash: HEADAS/headas-init.sh: No such file or directory
raman@kali:~/heasoft-6.28/BUILD_DIR$ export HEADAS=/home/raman/heasoft-6.28
raman@kali:~/heasoft-6.28/BUILD_DIR$

raman@kali:~$ export CC=/usr/bin/gcc
raman@kali:~$ export CXX=/usr/bin/g++
raman@kali:~$ export FC=/usr/bin/gfortran
raman@kali:~$ export PERL=/usr/bin/perl
raman@kali:~$ export PYTHON=/usr/bin/python
raman@kali:~$ cd /home/raman
raman@kali:~$ cd /home/raman/heasoft-6.28
raman@kali:~/heasoft-6.28$ cd heasoft-6.28/BUILD_DIR/
bash: cd: heasoft-6.28/BUILD_DIR/: No such file or directory
raman@kali:~/heasoft-6.28$ cd
raman@kali:~/heasoft-6.28/BUILD_DIR$ ./configure > config.out 2>&1
raman@kali:~/heasoft-6.28/BUILD_DIR$ make > build.log 2>&1
raman@kali:~/heasoft-6.28/BUILD_DIR$ make install > install.log 2>&1
raman@kali:~/heasoft-6.28/BUILD_DIR$ export HEADAS=/home/raman/
Can you tell me exactly what source package name you downloaded from here so that I can try it myself.

what should i type in place of (PLATFORM) for example-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-libc2.29
can you explain the meaning and work of all steps clearly so that i could tell other people in video on youtube?
No not right now because I don't have time and because all the steps mentioned in the original explanation of how to compile it is already good enough. If you would take the time to understand the basics of GNU/Linux you wouldn't be needing to ask how to it, so maybe when I have time later.

All I will say now is what you have wrong.
$HEADAS/headas-init.sh
The bold line should have a $ because in the line before you created the variable HEADAS, to then use a variable you have to use $VARNAME. You only have the $ as it pointing out your are in the shell of a regular user. Raman this is basic GNU/Linux stuff if you were really that interested in GNU/Linux you would have already taken the time to learn this stuff yourself, I have already advised you to do so in other topics you started yet you still have not seemed to have done anything with that advice. Seems you are more interested in getting views for your channel than you are about actually learning this stuff yourself. How about you learn the basic stuff yourself first before you try to make content about compiling source code and other things you don't understand yourself yet.

Last edited:
I already gave you an answer in post #9 and told you what you did wrong and what to do to correct it, but you did nothing with the answer I gave you, you are on your own.

raman@kali:~$ uname -a
Linux kali 5.7.0-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.7.6-1kali2 (2020-07-01) x86_64 GNU/Linux
raman@kali:~/heasoft-6.28/BUILD_DIR$ export HEADAS=/home/raman/heasoft-6.28/ x86_64 GNU/Linux
bash: export: `GNU/Linux': not a valid identifier
raman@kali:~/heasoft-6.28/BUILD_DIR$ export HEADAS=/home/raman/heasoft-6.28/x86_64 GNU/Linux
raman@kali:~/heasoft-6.28/BUILD_DIR$ export HEADAS=/home/raman/heasoft-6.28/SMP Debian 5.7.6-1kali2 (2020-07-01) x86_64 GNU/Linux
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
raman@kali:~/heasoft-6.28/BUILD_DIR$ export HEADAS=/home/raman/heasoft-6.28/SMP Debian 5.7.6-1kali2 x86_64 GNU/Linux
bash: export: `5.7.6-1kali2': not a valid identifier
raman@kali:~/heasoft-6.28/BUILD_DIR$ export HEADAS=/home/raman/heasoft-6.28/Debian 5.7.6-1kali2 x86_64 GNU/Linux
bash: export: `5.7.6-1kali2': not a valid identifier

The platforms are i386(32bit) and x86_64(64bit). If you read the INSTALLATION page it mentioned that only if you use the binary version PLATFORM is needed. Since you used the source based version and didn't make any customization to where it should be installed it should be in the default location. Try the following since you are running a x86_64 installation:
Code:
export ~/heasoft-6.28/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-libc2.28
. $HEADAS/headas-init.sh
It also mentions this on the SOURCE installation page: After the point where it told you what to export and source as well as the example point before that:
export HEADAS=/path/to/your/installed/heasoft-6.28/(PLATFORM)
. $HEADAS/headas-init.sh
In the examples above, (PLATFORM) is a placeholder for the platform- specific string denoting your machine's architecture, for example: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-libc2.29

Last edited:

Members online