Credits
Pop_OS!, 22.04 no audio out to HDMI TV

https://iso.pop-os.org/22.04/amd64/nvidia/24/pop-os_22.04_amd64_nvidia_24.iso

purchased this unit to make a low cost htpc:

Lenovo ThinkStation P310 SFF Intel E3-1245 v5 16GB 1TB HDD NVS 310

ThinkStation came with this card:

PNY Nvidia Quadro NVS 310 DP 1GB GDDR3

Product SKU: VCNVS310DP-1GB-PB

PNY NVIDIA Quadro NVS 310 DP, 1GB GDDR3, 2x DP, 48 CUDA Cores, 64Bit, 14GB/s, PCI Express 2.0, 3 Year Warranty

Purchase this adaptor to convert Displayport to HDMI port

Displayport to HDMI Adapter,IIABC 4K 24K Gold Plated Displayport DP to HDMI Female Converter,Uni-Directional Display Port to HDMI Converter Compatible for Lenovo, HP, Dell &More- Grey​

Still no audio out to TV but audio works with attached speakers to Pop_OS!, 22.04

ThinkStation PC…

Added this card that has DVI-I and HDMI out to ThinkStation removed PNY Nvidia Quadro NVS 310

Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD6450 1GB PCI-E DVI-I HDMI LP Video Card GV-R645SL-1GI

Still no audio to TV

I have worked with HTPC devices for many years and built some expensive pcs from scratch

Note: Bios is latest on ThinkStation v17. There are no settings for HDMI only IGP video.. Used WinKey and P to mirror montiors…

Welcome to the forums,
with the VDU connected, run from the terminal inxi -A and paste back the results [you may have to install inxi from the software repository]
also try right click of the audio [sound icon] in the task bar and check the output device is selected correctly

Audio:

Device-1: Intel 100 Series/C230 Series Family HD Audio

driver: snd_hda_intel

Device-2: NVIDIA High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel

Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k6.2.0-76060200-generic running: yes

Sound Server-2: PipeWire v: 0.3.66 running: yes

this version of Pop Os does not have a sound icon on the taskbar....

thanks for your help on this one

OK so there is nothing jumping out at me in that report, [NOTE the following instructions are for Ubuntu, as POP is loosly based on Ubuntu I would expect it to work]
so first try In the sound settings, open Output tab If the built-in-audio is set to Analogue Stereo Duplex [default]. Then try Changing t to HDMI output Stereo. You must be connected to the external VDU through a HDMI cable to see HDMI output option. [as you are using an adaptor, it may show as display port
if this dos'nt work, you could try from the terminal sudo apt-get install pavucontrol then look again in the sound setting for your connection

Thanks again! I changed video cards the one I'm using now has HDMI out. I'm using an hdmi to hdmi to the TV. I'm not at my computer right now but I will follow your steps and see where we end up

https://support.system76.com/articles/audio/

this is from system76 I tried most of these steps the external speakers are now louder which helps but I have not made any progress on the TV sound...

ALSA Information Script v 0.5.1

--------------------------------

This script visits the following commands/files to collect diagnostic

information about your ALSA installation and sound related hardware.

dmesg

lspci

aplay

amixer

alsactl

rpm, dpkg

/proc/asound/

/sys/class/sound/

~/.asoundrc (etc.)

See '/usr/sbin/alsa-info --help' for command line options.

dmesg: read kernel buffer failed: Operation not permitted

Automatically upload ALSA information to www.alsa-project.org? [y/N] : y

Uploading information to www.alsa-project.org ... Done!

Your ALSA information is located at

Please inform the person helping you.

Sorry this is a huge amount of information if you find it too overwhelming I will understand...
this is not for the faint of heart :)

Manjaro Linux Cinnamon fixed the issue!!!​

easy to install and use...
i have used ARCH linux
Manjaro is not Arch Linux in the pure sense, but it is based on Arch underpinnings and Arch Linux principles.
The choices were simple it identified the HDMI connection and after installing

VLC Media Player for Linux​

it was smooth sailing

thanks for all of the help this was exactly what I was hoping to achieve after so many attempts.

this can now be marked SOLVED

if you go to the top of the page and choose to edit....you can Type SOLVED at the start of the title

good news !!

Members online

Latest posts