(SOLVED) Pc wont start except mint logo

Linuxminthelp

Reaction score
Credits
I got dual boot mint/windows.
I was using mint and a program froze. So I rebooted the PC. Now it skips the bootloader, skips asking me mint vs windows. Just goes right to a mint logo, then the monitor says no signal. So essentially no access to anything for no reason.

do you really want to know.... most probeable cause is a Windows update

When the Mint logo is up, you should be able to press ESC to see the boot messages, which might help indicate the cause.

When the Mint logo is up, you should be able to press ESC to see the boot messages, which might help indicate the cause.
Many green ones. This one in red twice, then finally goes green...
Failed to start coTURN STUN/TURN Server

This in green,
Finished GRUB failed boot detection.

Does the last one on the list before it goes dark matter? Its spice-agent which has been modified to go on startup for VMs. But before that it doesn't load bootloader to pick mint or windows

Last edited:
I have the same live mint USB from install. But f10 or 12 at boot won't let me use it. Nor can I get command line
Different manufacturers use different F keys to pull up the UEFI boot menu. My HP uses F9.
If you can't get the UEFI boot, which allows you to boot from hard drive, CD or USB, then you need to look into that before moving forward. Go into UEFI and make sure boot from USB is enabled.

Different manufacturers use different F keys to pull up the UEFI boot menu. My HP uses F9.
If you can't get the UEFI boot, which allows you to boot from hard drive, CD or USB, then you need to look into that before moving forward. Go into UEFI and make sure boot from USB is enabled.
Yeah normally the motherboard screen comes up at boot telling me F10 can boot. Now its just black screen till mint logo

I just tried a few times starting with f9, f10, f2, del

If all you're saying is accurate, then you may well be looking at a hardware failure. This might require some surgery, but are you able to disconnect your hard drive and attempt boot? Would you then be able to access your BIOS/UEFI?

It's probably a good idea to try going this route.
Except he can't even select UEFI boot options, so can't boot from any source.

If all you're saying is accurate, then you may well be looking at a hardware failure. This might require some surgery, but are you able to disconnect your hard drive and attempt boot? Would you then be able to access your BIOS/UEFI?

Except he can't even select UEFI boot options, so can't boot from any source.
I want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly. I'm to open up the desktop case, disconnect the hard drive and attach it to a different computer via the flat cables. And see if I can boot from there?

I want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly. I'm to open up the desktop case, disconnect the hard drive and attach it to a different computer via the flat cables. And see if I can boot from there?
Just so we're level-set, you are unable to access in any way your BIOS/UEFI, which means you cannot select a boot device. This means, likely, your UEFI, which is stored on your hard drive, got corrupted. So what I was hoping is that you can disconnect your hard drive, and try to force your computer to boot into on-board BIOS, and then see if you can re-order your boot devices from there, setting your USB as 1st device. I'm not sure if this will work, as I haven't had to go through this type of troubleshooting in a long time.

But, before you do that ... on my HP equipment, I turn on the computer, then immediately start pressing F9 repeatedly and quickly, until my UEFI boot menu pops up. Then from there I can press F10 to enter UEFI Setup. I don't know your level of experience, so am trying not to assume anything.

I was using mint and a program froze. So I rebooted the PC.
This can lead to 2 causes:
  • That program caused an irrecoverable change in your disks at the boot sequence. The program could have frozen if it did a system call the kernel could not fulfill for that reason. In this case: Timeshift will help.
  • If the program was incosequential from that perspective, e.g.: a program that was run without sudo, or a program that has nothing to do with the kernel or the modules, this can point to a hardware (it can be memory, firmware or disk, but most likely the disk) problem.
And later on in the thread, you mention that grub doesn't detect a bootable system. This is in line with both leads.

In the case of the hardware problem, that could potentially narrow the scope to either the EFI partition where grub is installed to be corrupted, or the boot sectors of the Linux partition to be corrupted. For example, with a faulty or degrading SSD or HDD. Timeshift can help by recovering them, as presumably will detect those bad sectors and try to write to other healthy ones, but if the disk is degrading they will reappear.

If your UEFI has some way to run hardware diagnostics, it would be a good idea.

Just to clarify, OP, are you saying:

You do not see the post screen on startup (before GRUB)...
Yeah normally the motherboard screen comes up at boot telling me F10 can boot. Now its just black screen till mint logo

I just tried a few times starting with f9, f10, f2, del
This is a separate issue (it may just be you accidentally disabled the post logo, but also it may be something else, that's why we have to eliminate this) Solution: Try CMOS reset. If you know where the header pins are (usually below the battery on full ATX boards and to the side on smaller ones), just short them with something conductive (screwdriver, knife, your finger maybe). If not, just disconnect the power from the PSU (switch the PSU off first, then press the PC power button to discharge the PSU caps), and now remove the lithium battery (looks like a big watch battery), count to 53 (lol, arbitrary number). From here, see if you get the post screen (board manufacturer's or OEM's logo).

The most important thing is to get the post screen up again and default settings restored. This'll ensure that the machine is behaving as expected. We can go from there as you need to narrow it down or nobody here can help without guessing (which there is nothing wrong with per se, just it's better to work in steps).

I got dual boot mint/windows.
I was using mint and a program froze. So I rebooted the PC. Now it skips the bootloader, skips asking me mint vs windows. Just goes right to a mint logo, then the monitor says no signal. So essentially no access to anything for no reason.

I'm no expert but it sounds like your Dual Boot with windwoes is the problem...I don't Dual Boot...I have windwoes as a VM...where it should be and never have problems.
happy0035.gif

I did read somewhere windwoes tends to kill the Linux Boot Loader...been going on for a long time and the other problem with Dual Boot is microsuck can spy on you.
mad0016.gif

Hey thanks to everyone who replied. I am having a friend who is more comfortable with helping me do these hardware analysis points take a look. I will have an update when I know more

Hey thanks to everyone who replied. I am having a friend who is more comfortable with helping me do these hardware analysis points take a look. I will have an update when I know more
Someone knowledgeable, with direct eyes on the system is a good way to go. Good luck!

Members online

Latest posts