[Solved]Newly added SSD's name has become a mess of numbers

BigBadBeef

Reaction score
Credits
I've purchased and installed a new SSD. But my os, while giving it a proper name in my file explorer, it has only listed it's UUID in the command path, which is essentially a kitbash of letters and numbers (At least I believe its called UUID, dont' bash me over the head with a hammer, the last time I had linux was when TurboPascal was a thing)

/media/bigbadbeef/607d1d96-c467-4c42-b964-09785a31b5b9

While the file explorer does name the drive properly, this mess is something I would like to have changed. The question is how?

Just a note further to stan's above, @BigBadBeef - if your Linux distro is the only Linux on that rig, you will need to launch GParted from either a live Linux stick, or a GParted Live stick, because you cannot manipulate the root partition you are currently in session with.

Cheers

Wizard

Just a note further to stan's above, @BigBadBeef - if your Linux distro is the only Linux on that rig, you will need to launch GParted from either a live Linux stick, or a GParted Live stick, because you cannot manipulate the root partition you are currently in session with.
Since that drive is mounted on /media/bigbadbeef.... I don't think it's his root drive. Seems more like he has it plugged in with a USB cable.

Aaah, my bad - should have gone to SpecSavers

Morning Stan ;)

Good morning, sir Wizard! ;)

Good Morning, Uncles ! ;)

....and back at ya, sir Stan !;)

Since that drive is mounted on /media/bigbadbeef.... I don't think it's his root drive. Seems more like he has it plugged in with a USB cable.
Eh no, its a SATA SSD that I purchased AFTER installing my linux distro. Pop!OS seems to have a quirk that any non-root drive is considered as media and has to be mounted each time the system boots or reboots. I don't really see this as a problem.

Oh, and uh, I fixed the problem.

Last edited:
Gparted of course. Unmounted the drive, did the label and mounted once again. However I also had to manually change everything whose operation depended on the old path to the drive.

Pop!OS seems to have a quirk that any non-root drive is considered as media and has to be mounted each time the system boots or reboots. I don't really see this as a problem.
Not a big problem, but enough to bug you and cause you to look for an alternative method. I've never heard of Pop!_OS doing that, but I have zero experience with that distro. It's always a good idea when posting a new question to say which OS (and version) and also which Desktop you're using. Some folks might be aware of quirks like that and have better advice.

Anyway, glad you have it resolved well enough. You might wish to edit your first post so you can change the Title and add [SOLVED] at the beginning or end.

Cheers

Staff online