SOLVED! New Member with Old Devices

CarolQ

Reaction score
Credits
Can anyone point me to a resource to discover if my old devices will run any Linux distros? I have a Lenovo IdeaTab A2109A-F Model 2290, Samsung Galaxy S4 Verizon phone, and a Verizon LG G2. I'm hoping to de-google these devices if at all possible and run Linux on them. Thanks for any assistance?

I like your idea, but i forsee several pitfalls, the Tab is very low power and likely to be 32 bit, you will probably have to boost the storage to 32gb the ram is only enough to run a lightweight distribution and the ARMv7 will need a distro with Arm support [but it will be slow] I cant help with the smart phones as i don't own one and have never worked on one

Bwiz

G'day CarolQ, Welcome to Linux.org

As brickwizard said above, your idea is good.

However, I can see lots and lots of problems and pitfalls. It certainly would not be easy and straightforward.

others here may have differing opinions, But I would ditch those ideas and find somethig more up to date and user friendly.
Those models were not meant to be your friend.

find somethig more up to date and user friendly.
not necessarily more up to date but a laptop or netbook from about 2008 or newer as long as its 64 bit we can [between us] sort any problems [not that we normally get many] My everyday laptop is a 10 yr old Dell
Brian

However, I can see lots and lots of problems and pitfalls. It certainly would not be easy and straightforward.

others here may have differing opinions, But I would ditch those ideas and find somethig more up to date and user friendly.
I'm certainly not yet in a position to deal with anything that isn't easy or straightforward. I appreciate everyone's input!

not necessarily more up to date but a laptop or netbook from about 2008 or newer as long as its 64 bit we can [between us] sort any problems [not that we normally get many] My everyday laptop is a 10 yr old Dell
Brian
I have a refurb Dell laptop on the way. Just can't seem to get the FedEx driver to deliver it. First delivery date was 9/20. I was considering these ideas while waiting for the laptop. Thanks for your insight!

Thank you!

Dell laptop

That Dell laptop should handle just about any Linux OS with ease.

Let us know the model, and its other specs.;

That Dell laptop should handle just about any Linux OS with ease.

Let us know the model, and its other specs.;
Dell Latitude 3580 15.6" I3-6006U 4GB DDR4 500GB HDD Windows 10 Pro Laptop
I'm a middle of the road user. Watch videos, email, browse the internet, download music, a little shopping, pay bills online. Not a gamer. Currently using an old borrowed MacBook Pro so I've gotten used to the Mac functionality. I just got the book Linux for Dummies 8 books in one. Looked at Budgie but the videos I've found on the different distros aren't that helpful. I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Easy as Pie.

Linux Mint

User friendly

Has more than enough bells and whistles for an 8 year user (Me)

Are you going to need to keep win 10 on as well as a linux os ?

Easy as Pie.

Linux Mint

User friendly

Has more than enough bells and whistles for an 8 year user (Me)

Are you going to need to keep win 10 on as well as a linux os ?
I appreciate your input. I have no need to keep Windows that I can think of.

An install of Linux that effectively wipes out win 10 is quite simple.

It does not involve 'wiping' the drive.

The Linux install will take care of that for you.

An install of Linux that effectively wipes out win 10 is quite simple.

It does not involve 'wiping' the drive.

The Linux install will take care of that for you.
Cool! My laptop arrived a few minutes ago. Charging it up tonight and will jump into the water tomorrow morning!

The install is carried out by "attaching" the Linux download (called an .ISO) to a thumb drive

you can use Rufus to attach it. (rufus works on win 10)

The download will depend on the choice you make.

Linux mint has three different desktops....Cinnamon, Mate, XFCE

Cinnamon is considered full featured
Mate is middle of the road
xfce is lighter and is considered quicker

If you wish to experiment, you can download each one, attach them one at a time to the usb stick and just take each one for a run to try them out
Note this is done separately for each desktop version
attach via rufus.......then boot the pc to that thumb drive....sometimes just the 'look' is enough to make the decision.....other times you may need to click on everything in sight to help you get a 'feel' for the actual distro/desktop

The linux that you try out/have a look at will not be actually installed until you click on the desktop icon to Install Linux Mint
As soon as you either reboot or take the thumb drive out, win 10 will still be there.
After you click on Install Linux Mint, ......win 10 will be gone....forever.

Just to be clear....there are literally hundreds and hundreds of Linux distros (os's) that you can put on a thumb drive and take for a run or fully install

I chose Linux mint simply because it has a LOT of support. It is arguably the most popular distro and the one that is the better known in forums.

The terminology will blow your mind until you get used to it.

Linux Mint is the distro (distribution)
Cinnamon/mate/xfce, are the desktop environments within Linux Mint (commonly called DE's)

Because your laptop has win 10 on it you may need to turn off secure boot. You will find instructions on how to do that online before you start trying to boot Linux.

When you have booted the laptop to one of the DE's in Linux Mint, you will eventually decide which de you are going to go with.
On the desktop there will be an icon "INSTALL LINUX MINT".......click on that and follow the prompts. Tick the box etc to use the whole disk. The Linux Installer will take care of partitioning etc etc for you.

Get your ducks in a row. Write it down if it helps. Ask as many questions as you like. There is always help here.

A good read.
(the only piece i would argue with on that page is that they say that mate is more stable than cinnamon....I disagree,)

Downloads are on that page

The install is carried out by "attaching" the Linux download (called an .ISO) to a thumb drive

you can use Rufus to attach it. (rufus works on win 10)

The download will depend on the choice you make.

Linux mint has three different desktops....Cinnamon, Mate, XFCE

Cinnamon is considered full featured
Mate is middle of the road
xfce is lighter and is considered quicker

If you wish to experiment, you can download each one, attach them one at a time to the usb stick and just take each one for a run to try them out
Note this is done separately for each desktop version
attach via rufus.......then boot the pc to that thumb drive....sometimes just the 'look' is enough to make the decision.....other times you may need to click on everything in sight to help you get a 'feel' for the actual distro/desktop

The linux that you try out/have a look at will not be actually installed until you click on the desktop icon to Install Linux Mint
As soon as you either reboot or take the thumb drive out, win 10 will still be there.
After you click on Install Linux Mint, ......win 10 will be gone....forever.

Just to be clear....there are literally hundreds and hundreds of Linux distros (os's) that you can put on a thumb drive and take for a run or fully install

I chose Linux mint simply because it has a LOT of support. It is arguably the most popular distro and the one that is the better known in forums.

The terminology will blow your mind until you get used to it.

Linux Mint is the distro (distribution)
Cinnamon/mate/xfce, are the desktop environments within Linux Mint (commonly called DE's)

Because your laptop has win 10 on it you may need to turn off secure boot. You will find instructions on how to do that online before you start trying to boot Linux.

When you have booted the laptop to one of the DE's in Linux Mint, you will eventually decide which de you are going to go with.
On the desktop there will be an icon "INSTALL LINUX MINT".......click on that and follow the prompts. Tick the box etc to use the whole disk. The Linux Installer will take care of partitioning etc etc for you.

Get your ducks in a row. Write it down if it helps. Ask as many questions as you like. There is always help here.

A good read.
(the only piece i would argue with on that page is that they say that mate is more stable than cinnamon....I disagree,)

Downloads are on that page
Thank you so very much! I'll certainly refer to your instructions and expect to have questions as I get into it. I'm very excited about this!

Good Morning [well it is here] :D
Looked at the spec sheet for The Dell Latitude 3580 it has had several variants over the years, built as a business machine, it is a good solid bit of kit and fine for everyday use, there may be one problem, some of them had the dreaded realteck chipset for the wi-fi. which can be troublesome to set up [but that's why we are here to help]

Bwiz

@CarolQ
one tip when you install your chosen distro, as it installs you will be asked do you want to use non-fee/proprietary drivers , make sure you tick the box to install them

Members online

Latest posts