SOLVED! New Member with Old Devices

It will be more than interesting to learn what the problem is with that laptop.

If it were mine I would be so tempted to dismantle the laptop and check that the hard drive is actually connected!

I hope the seller doesn't keep you in suspense for too long.....the wait is wearying on the nerves.

morning Carol
the first of your attachments was to be expected , you would have got the same response if you had put a new harddrive in
the second is still making me think there may be a fault on the current set up

morning Carol
the first of your attachments was to be expected , you would have got the same response if you had put a new harddrive in
the second is still making me think there may be a fault on the current set up
A good morning to you, almost midnight here. I don't have the ability to determine any fault on the current setup of the laptop. My inclination is to return it and find another. I do have to say that I learned some things attempting the install and then helping my friend install LinuxMint onto his old Windows laptop. It turned out that his machine was already partitioned so he now has Linux and Windows Vista on it. It was a good learning experience!

It will be more than interesting to learn what the problem is with that laptop.

If it were mine I would be so tempted to dismantle the laptop and check that the hard drive is actually connected!

I hope the seller doesn't keep you in suspense for too long.....the wait is wearying on the nerves.
I honestly don't think I could tell by looking if the hard drive is connected or not although I'm wondering too. I've never opened up a laptop so I wouldn't know what I was looking for.

@CarolQ

Just had another thought.. if you fancy running another test, you will need another clean pendrive [or ine you dont mind wiping], of at least 16gb
put the second pendrive in the laptop , then going back to the install instructions try to reinstall this time
when you F12 it may show 2 usb drives make sure you pick the one with the iso on it
and when it comes to the partitioning bit, it should show the harddrive and the spare pendrive,
select the pendrive then continue with the rest of the instructions.
when finished leave the the drive you have just [hopefully installed to] and remove the one with the iso and re- boot
if you get the same message then try again using the F12 method to chose the boot
if this works then its defiantly a hard drive fault if not.. I'm stummped

Bwiz

I honestly don't think I could tell by looking if the hard drive is connected or not although I'm wondering too.
G'day and welcome. I have been reading this thread and I am getting the impression that either your HDD is acting up or that it is not connected. Should the HDD be acting up it may well give the signal that there is no bootable OS available.
Just a thought.

@CarolQ

Just had another thought.. if you fancy running another test, you will need another clean pendrive [or ine you dont mind wiping], of at least 16gb
put the second pendrive in the laptop , then going back to the install instructions try to reinstall this time
when you F12 it may show 2 usb drives make sure you pick the one with the iso on it
and when it comes to the partitioning bit, it should show the harddrive and the spare pendrive,
when finished leave the the drive you have just [hopefully installed to] and remove the one with the iso and re- boot
if you get the same message then try again using the F12 method to chose the boot

Bwiz
I'm game to run another test in the morning. I have a second pendrive with nothing on it. Just making sure I understand your instructions.
1) I have both pendrives in the laptop when I turn it on?
2) I proceed as though I'm installing the ISO on the empty pendrive?
3) My understanding of this is a bit fuzzy: "try again using the F12 method to chose the boot"
Bed time for me. I'll check here in the morning before I launch another attempt.
Many thanks!

G'day and welcome. I have been reading this thread and I am getting the impression that either your HDD is acting up or that it is not connected. Should the HDD be acting up it may well give the signal that there is no bootable OS available.
Just a thought.
Thank you, I appreciate your thoughts!

My understanding of this is a bit fuzzy: "
yes and yes
step 3 slightly diffrent
3 switch on the dell and tickle F12 as it switches on [this should bring up the short boot menu]
look down the list and find usb click on it and enter [at this point the short boot menu should show 2 usb drives one will be the new [target drive] and the other the iso installation pendrive ]
select the pendrive with the ISO to boot [same one you used last time] and continue the install instructions.

or when re-booting
[when hopefully it loads] you remove the pendrive with the iso, leaving the new one in place, in theory when you re-boot the machine should find it and boot itself if not use the F12 method to find it and try to boot it,
if it boots by either method from the penddrive we will know it is defiantly a harddrive fault.

Last edited:
My problem is I am not famalia enough with big A to advise Carol on the best way to make an ISO using it.
Bwiz
Morning (I see you're on GMT). Anyway, just for future reference, MacOS is a *nix so it has a dd command. Most folk don't know that MacOS is a *nix.

@Fanboi
I dont mind working on macs they are no different to any other machine, but I have never been involved in the OS or even using one, hence my lack of familiarity

Bwiz

Well, then I have more good news: the CLI's default shell was Bash. It's now zsh, but Bash is still available so you'll probably feel at home once you pull up a CLI (MS really messed up bringing Powershell in on Windows -- ugh.)

Anyhoo, sorry to have side-tracked the thread a little. Peace.

@CarolQ

Bwiz
Turned on with 2 pendrives in place. This is what I see.

Attachments

• C47760E9-E8C1-4111-A934-81EC066EB0FB.jpeg
    C47760E9-E8C1-4111-A934-81EC066EB0FB.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 163
the first usb is the hard drive target ...the usb partition1 should be the iso to boot from

Do I click this one?

Attachments

• D3B636EE-C586-4037-B306-6CF912A20A64.jpeg
    D3B636EE-C586-4037-B306-6CF912A20A64.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 184