SOLVED! New Member with Old Devices

There now appears to be a problem with the laptop that I just received from the ebay seller. I'll now have to get that sorted out before I can proceed.

There now appears to be a problem with the laptop that I just received from the ebay seller.
what appears to be the problem

what appears to be the problem
Support/Assist screen came up saying "Time of day not set - please run setup program. Invalid configuration information." Then a screen came up asking to restore settings. I tried to do that and the screen froze asking "Load all system settings? Current settings will be lost." I finally was able to exit from that screen and it began running a hardware scan "complete with no issues." Along with this message:
"No bootable devices were found! Possible causes could be a corrupt OS image or a boot device is not enabled in BIOS setup."

ok has it got a harddrive in the cady?
switch it on at the same time jiggle the F10 key, this should open the short boot menu, look at the list if it dosnt mention the harddrive then its missing or faulty
next test, if you have another working machine [or a Friend to help] download Mint xfce and either burn an iso to dvd or pendrive [i prefer etcher for pendrives]
when you down load make sure the MD sum is the same as one given on the download page
put the iso into dvd or usb switch on and jiggle F10 highlight whichever you are using and enter, this should load a live session [you do not need a harddrive for this step] play atound and make sure everything is working [sound/graphics/wireless etc]
now open a terminal [black icon with $_ on it] type inxi -Fnx [inxi[space]-Fnx] this will give an output of your components provided it shows a harddrive , you should be ok to go and install linux..
I suspect the harddrive will be there and the windows are corrupt
if this dosnt work then tomorrow we can go through the bios settings

Bwiz

ok has it got a harddrive in the cady?
switch it on at the same time jiggle the F10 key, this should open the short boot menu, look at the list if it dosnt mention the harddrive then its missing or faulty
next test, if you have another working machine [or a Friend to help] download Mint xfce and either burn an iso to dvd or pendrive [i prefer etcher for pendrives]
when you down load make sure the MD sum is the same as one given on the download page
put the iso into dvd or usb switch on and jiggle F10 highlight whichever you are using and enter, this should load a live session [you do not need a harddrive for this step] play atound and make sure everything is working [sound/graphics/wireless etc]
now open a terminal [black icon with $_ on it] type inxi -Fnx [inxi[space]-Fnx] this will give an output of your components provided it shows a harddrive , you should be ok to go and install linux..
I suspect the harddrive will be there and the windows are corrupt
if this dosnt work then tomorrow we can go through the bios settings

Bwiz
I jiggled F10 key as I pressed the "on" button. The SupportAssist screen came up with this info:
Product Name: Latitude 3580
System BIOS: 1.0.1
Service Tag: JX2RQJ2
ePSA: Build 4304.17 UEFI ROM

X (big red X) No bootable devices found. Then a Shutdown key in bottom right corner.

My only other working machine is an older borrowed Mac that I can't update because I don't have (and can't get) the password to update it. Lots of the files/apps that I try to download from it don't work because of the outdated OS. That's the biggest reason I want to get Linux working on another machine.

ok. its sleepy time here, use the mac if you can to download and burn your iso ready for tomorrow
and when I get up I will go through the bios settings for a del it wont be a quick job [if you have a FB or skype account it may be easier if you pm me with your contact details and i can talk you through it. your choice]
Bwiz

ok. its sleepy time here, use the mac if you can to download and burn your iso ready for tomorrow
and when I get up I will go through the bios settings for a del it wont be a quick job [if you have a FB or skype account it may be easier if you pm me with your contact details and i can talk you through it. your choice]
Bwiz
Thanks for your help. I've already tried creating a bootable USB on the mac and it won't work with etcher. Seems I'm stuck. Sleep well!

@brickwizard can probably tell you which key to tap to bring up the spot to change the boot order.....so that your laptop will boot from the USB stick, , not the usual hard drive.

On a Dell I think it is the F12 key, but brickwizard can probably confirm.

I am out of here for the next 12 hours....good luck !

@brickwizard can probably tell you which key to tap to bring up the spot to change the boot order.....so that your laptop will boot from the USB stick, , not the usual hard drive.

On a Dell I think it is the F12 key, but brickwizard can probably confirm.

I am out of here for the next 12 hours....good luck !
Thanks!

Just spotted your more recent posts....difficulty with laptop

Maybe tomorrow, try booting to the USB stick?.....this may simply be a windows 10 "thing" ?

Any thoughts on that @brickwizard ?

My last message ^^^^^...was a bit rushed....I was half ouyt the door for a necessary many hundreds of kilometres road trip.

We are back a little earlier than expected.

follow bricks suggestions .......they sound good.

In the meantime, have you rebooted the laptop ?....maybe a few times?

I am just hoping against hope....

Maybe tomorrow, try booting to the USB stick?.....this may simply be a windows 10 "thing" ?
What I am hoping is the previous owner may have tried to wipe off their files and screwed windows, this is not a problem as we can install over it using a full disc set up,
My problem is I am not famalia enough with big A to advise Carol on the best way to make an ISO using it.
Bwiz

What I know about the big A you could write on my thumbnail....and still have space to spare.

I am hoping he is rebooting the laptop in this time....you just never know......miracles do happen....

What I am hoping is the previous owner may have tried to wipe off their files and screwed windows, this is not a problem as we can install over it using a full disc set up,
My problem is I am not famalia enough with big A to advise Carol on the best way to make an ISO using it.
Bwiz
My target laptop is a Dell Refurbished unit that I just purchased through eBay. I've sent a message to the seller and haven't yet received a response. I'm considering returning it as there is a 30-day warranty. This should have worked right out of the box.

What I know about the big A you could write on my thumbnail....and still have space to spare.

I am hoping he is rebooting the laptop in this time....you just never know......miracles do happen....
What is "big A" ?

In the meantime, have you rebooted the laptop ?....maybe a few times?

I am just hoping against hope....
Every time I turn it back on, I get the same screen that says "no bootable devices found." The only option is the Shutdown button on the bottom right of the screen. I click "Shutdown" and it turns off. When I turn it back on, I get the same screen again with only the Shutdown option.

Big A would be Apple/Mac
See what I mean about the terminology !

I would agree with your contacting the seller.

It did cross my mind that they may have tried to wipe the hard drive before sending it to you.

Would you like to put all this on hold until you hear from them/him ?

It does not create a problem for us

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts