(Solved) Need some help with Peppermint 10 DVD playback

Intun2it

Reaction score
Credits
I installed Peppermint 10 on a new SiliconPower SSD and the install seemed to go fine and I ran updates after the installation finished. I also installed VLC from the software "store" and it wanted to update after the install. I thought I was going to be happy, but the DVD I tried to play would not play. The file manager sees the files, but neither VLC nor the default player will play the DVD. So, I booted the machine into MX Linux and the DVD plays fine on the same hardware (same computer, same DVD drive, different HDD) that won't play it in the Peppermint 10 OS. Hoping someone can give me some advice. Thank you.

Last edited:

Was VLC also used with the Debian distro (MX) for playback, or did you use another software?
VLC sometimes conflicts with the default player, it seems, IME, depending on what is the default.

Currently the machine is set up to boot from the MX Linux drive and it runs fine from VLC installed on that machine. I'll try the default player on it later this morning and get back to you. I'll also give the Peppermint 10 another trial. Both the default player and VLC. Thanks for your reply. I don't HAVE to run Peppermint, but I wanted to give it a try.

Note... These two versions of Linux are installed on different physical hard drives. I can boot from one or the other if I select the boot drive at boot time. I am not running a GRUB bootloader on the machine.

Well. I fixed it!. The version of VLC on Peppermint was older than the version on MX so I uninstalled the version on Peppermint and installed the updated version and it works fine now. Thanks for your time. VLC was not installed OOB on Peppermint and there was two versions in the software "store". Changed the version that I installed and I'm good now.

Thanks for your time.
Glad you solved the puzzle!
BTW -- which distro do you favor and why?

That's a fine question, but I don't really have a fine answer... I'm currently run 4 different distros on 3 different machines. My wife's notebook is running LinuxLite 4.8, my project computer has Peppermint 10, & MX Linux 19 something on it (currently default drive booting to Peppermint 10), The last computer is running Manjaro Cinnamon. So, I think I have to give the nod to Manjaro at the moment.

I had dabbled with Peppermint several years ago, leaned a bit toward Mint 13 back then), but never really got mainstream with them back then. Since Gates has decided to kill us and track us all with vaccines, I have decided to move completely to Linux. Peppermint is set up OOB to allow you to run MS apps in the browser if needed. That's why I was interested in it again. Downside is that Mark Greaves has passed away and that worries me a bit.

Back on point to your question, Manjaro Cinnamon has a bit more comfortable feel to it after coming off of 30 years of Windows; I guess that's why I am more at home with it. I have used several different DE and can manage quite well with any of them but I'm really pretty happy with Manjaro Cinnamon. Might give MATE a try next. It's really just a hobby now.

I sit here typing this reply on my 9 year old Toshiba Notebook/laptop an I'm looking to reformat one of the SSDs with some flavor or another of Linux for it and then I will be pretty much completely converted. It has a 500 gb ssd in it now: might just set it up to dual boot, IDK.

Your post is the first I'd heard of Mark Greaves passing -- sorry to hear of it, myself!
I ran both Peppermint and LinuxLite a lot, early on. Liked them both, at the time.

It's hardly 'lite' but FerenOS may be worth a gander for a machine with speed and RAM.
Try 'em all & pick the ones you like and go with 'em!
Best wishes!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts