<SOLVED> MR ROBOT SERIES: Reference to linux slackware and kali?????

smooth_buddha

Reaction score
Credits
Hey guys was just wachin mr robot series . It referenced a scene os linux slackware on a laptop. Most of the way through the series the protagonist hacker eliot always uses pent testing distro kali linux! But in1 particular scene hes handed a laptop and has to do a special task and the laptop is running slackware! Could somebody please tell me more about slackware and why itmay have been referenced in the series in such a way?????

Mr Robot?

The program about mental illness, paranoia, hallucinations, social inadequacy, drugs, criminality. murder...?

Worthy of copying?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slackware

Kali Linux is one Linux distro. Slackware is another Linux distro. Ubuntu is a different Linux distro...

i was more interested in why slackware was used in that particular scene! I wanted to know if slackware was used because it was a reference to a stable superior secure operating system.

the tech, prgorams and commands which are seen throughout the show seem very accurate and i would imagine the tech team behind making the show must have decided to Show authentic real world hacking skills as opposed to standard hollywood hacking scenes and unrealistic technology

g'day @smooth_buddha and welcome.

i was more interested in why slackware was used in that particular scene!

seriously, how would we know? better off asking the writers or the show's producers.

was there a usb stick in the laptop? slackware is not so often installed to hdd as it is used on a stick for recovery purposes (including on windows), running a-v software etc.

cheers

wizard

Hey guys was just wachin mr robot series . It referenced a scene os linux slackware on a laptop. Most of the way through the series the protagonist hacker eliot always uses pent testing distro kali linux! But in1 particular scene hes handed a laptop and has to do a special task and the laptop is running slackware! Could somebody please tell me more about slackware and why itmay have been referenced in the series in such a way?????
so what do you want to know ?

Mr Robot?

The program about mental illness, paranoia, hallucinations, social inadequacy, drugs, criminality. murder...?

Worthy of copying?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slackware

Kali Linux is one Linux distro. Slackware is another Linux distro. Ubuntu is a different Linux distro...
have you ever been on a slackware forum and "communicated " with maintainers
"... mental illness, paranoia, hallucinations, social inadequacy, drugs, criminality. murder...?" yep that just about covers everything !!

i know slackware is known for being very stable , reliable and robust and the closest os to unix. IM still learning how operatings systems work but inhave a question about slackwares specs / operating system specs in general:

• 486 processor.
  • 64MB RAM (1GB+ suggested)
  • About 5GB+ of hard disk space for a full install.
  • CD or DVD drive (if not bootable, then a bootable USB flash stick or PXE server/network card

• above is slackwares specs. Because it suggeted tam and clock speed are relatively low does this mean slackware is not as practical for doing faster work with more ram and clock speed????
  • Is slackware able to handle videos normal internet usage such a s streaming

• Or are the spec just the minimum requirements and slackware can handle anything easily???
  • Forgive my questions ima noob to linux but trying to learn more about the system

this is an extract from my hardware :

*-bank:1
description: SODIMM DDR4 Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered) 2400 MHz (0.4 ns)
product: HMA851S6JJR6N-VK
vendor: Hynix/Hyundai
physical id: 1
serial: 82CA289C
slot: Bottom - Slot 2 (right)
size: 4GiB
clock: 2400MHz (0.4ns)
*-cpu
description: CPU
product: AMD A4-9125 RADEON R3, 4 COMPUTE CORES 2C+2G
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
physical id: 21
bus info: cpu@0
version: AMD A4-9125 RADEON R3, 4 COMPUTE CORES 2C+2G
slot: P0
size: 2545MHz
width: 64 bits

This tells you what HD I have , used and left:
bash-5.0# df -H /dev/sda3

total used left
/dev/sda3 57G 46G 8.5G 85% /

also have a look at screen shot of gparted , EFI 100mb (can't change that) swap probably too big .I have around 8gig left but also laptop has SD card slot so I have an extra 14 gig for none essential stuff. I've got just about all software i want installed already so it works for me.

Wikipeida is misleading ; there is software i use which tells me deps that will be involved when i install a package and get them. last stable release was 3 years ago; but last work was over weekend for current. (I'm on current)

As for functionality:
I have chrome browser
Icecat browser

wifi card works fine

internet no problem

docs- libreoffice 5+

photoshop alternative -gimp2.10

publishing : scribus

video editor : cinelerra

php version: PHP 7.4.1 (cli) (built: Dec 19 2019 00:29:31) ( ZTS )
Copyright (c) The PHP Group
Zend Engine v3.4.0, Copyright (c) Zend Technologies
with Zend OPcache v7.4.1, Copyright (c), by Zend Technologies
bash-5.0$

thus I can work on symfony5 or codeigniter4 both of which require php 7.0+

kernel is:
bash-5.0$ uname -r
bash-5.0$

thus with 5.4.12 its one of the latest .

in terms of "testing "can install metasploit no problem and proably most of what kali has.
Kali is basically a distro that somebody has collected and installed as default stuff that we can get if we wanted to

oh

will this do you ?

Attachments

• gparted.jpg
    gparted.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 361
the more im finding out a bout slackware the more i like the sound of it! I tried it on virtual machine but think ima go for a propper install! Im currently running mint but slackware lets u build os from scratch which is what i need as i want to learn nuts and bolts of shat makes up a linux os

thanks for the details- obviously slackware can handle most things

what is the software you use that tells you the dependencies????? that sounds pretty handy to have

ok well first off their is software that works for slackware only; this is one of them .
slpkg : https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/system/slpkg/?search=slpkg
( not to be confused with slackpkg )
so you run the slackbuild to create slpkg package, install it and tweak mirrors for repo

ok lets say i want a video editor maybe cinelerra ? lets search
# slpkg -F cinelerra

Packages with name matching [ cinelerra ]

+===============================================================
| Repository Package Size
+===============================================================
sbo cinelerra-2.3 0 K

Found summary
================================================================ttotal found 1 packages in 1 repositories.

ok now let me see what the dependencies are going to be :

bash-5.0# slpkg -t sbo cinelerra
Resolving dependencies... Done

+=================================
| Package cinelerra dependencies :
+=================================
\
+---[ Tree of dependencies ]
|
+--1: faac
|
+--2: faad2
|
+--3: imlib2
|
+--4: libavc1394
|
+--5: libdv
|
+--6: libiec61883
|
+--7: mjpegtools
|
+--8: lame
|
+--9: x264

bash-5.0#
on my output the above 1-9 are in green, which tells me i have them installed. It can also print out nice graph in image form see attached.

Attachments

• cinelerra.jpg
    cinelerra.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 364
Awesome! Thanks for that . Thats a well handy program to have!

is slackware ok to install on a dual boot with mac os???

i would approach the answer in 2 or 3 stages:

1) see how slackware plays out on your hardware; no point in trying a release 3 years old so follow this: https://linux.org/threads/get-slack...ick-without-using-dd-command.27789/post-85306

2) i know nothing about mac os , so how does bootloader work or how do you configure it ?

slackware on its own comes with lilo/elilo ,my guess is you don't want to do manual edits; i have got dual boot with windows working before but with mac.. i would have no idea.

if it was a dual boot with say Mint;Ubuntu ; or Debian then i would say install Slackware first ,then Mint or others. They come as far as i remember with grub. So once Mint/Debian is installed it would simply be a case of updating bootloader to include slackware OS using # update-grub

So its unknown territory for me.. buus when you've tried it t would be intersting for you to come back and tell us when you tried it

thanks so much for this ive been racking my brains trying to research this all afternoon!

I tried installing Slackware 14.2 on usb but it seemed to crash on a loading screen multiple times.

I then tried Slackware live n a usb but it went straight to grub mode with a prompt!
I tried boot. it then said you need to load the kernel first. tried to follow some commands on some from posted about starting the kernel manually. I still couldn't seem to get it working!!!

im not discouraged though, the more I fail at installing it -the more I want to installl it!

I installed it so easily on a virtual machine! I see now how a live real system is a different ballgame and not as smooth sailing as a virtual machine install!

ive been setting up my usb stick using etcher in macOS , perhaps this time I will setup the usb in my linux mint dual boot and then try boot it from the burned usb via linux mint!

will let you know how it goes!!!!!!!! :)

i was missing extlinux but installed it got the script working something went wrong again but i right clicked the iso disc image on my desktop and the gui had an option for make bootable usb clicked that it worked and made my bootable usb. it was daam quik at it too!

i then booted usb on reboot and it displays the follwing grub screen owaiting the magical commands which i unfortunately do not posses!!

it does work though and hasnt crashed, but am i correct in saying it hasnt booted properly and do i need to manually load the kernel???

i was expecting it too go straight to a GUI with some install options as ive seen on some youtbe vids but its stuck in GRUB mode lol!!!

Attachments

• grub_prompt.jpeg
    grub_prompt.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 372

Staff online