SOLVED: Linux Mint Mate installed. Timeshift asking for root subvolume (@).

My bad :rolleyes:

GParted does not work with BTRFS by default.

Code:
apt-cache policy btrfs-tools

# then if available but not installed

sudo apt-get -y install btrfs-tools

When completed, reboot your computer, and in Ubuntu open GParted, you should be able to see the /dev/sdc drive.

Wiz

i ran: apt-cache policy btrfs-tools
output said: installed: 4.15.1-1build1

my prompt now says: jerry@jerry-Aspire-5733Z

Nothing has changed, but will open Gparted just the same.

Rebooted, plugged in external drive, opened Gparted, it searched for drives and external drive light blinked while it was searching. Still no /dev/sdc partition.
Sorry.

No need to be sorry, Jerry :)

For the moment, the snapshots are saving to your WD hard drive.

I'll give it some thought and come back to you when I have something new.

Cheers

Wiz

Scoop! :)

1. Now behind that popup window, where the main window is for GParted, see if /dev/sdc2 has that little icon at left that shows it is mounted (it would appear so from the text above, at Status.

2. If so, you can right-click that line and choose unmount. Do so. It will take a moment.

At the top left of the pane, you should have a toolbar with icons, numbering 6 or 7, and you can run your mouse cursor over them and see Smart Tips that explain the functions.

3. You can either click the line that shows /dev/sdc2 and it will highlight, then go to the icon that says Delete and click it, or else without highlighting, just right-click the line and choose delete. You will form a preference over time - 2 or 3 ways to do the same thing, same as Windows. :)

If you choose the latter method, it will show the operation pending at bottom of window, and go to the icon at top that says Apply All Operations and click.

The partition will be deleted and the space returned to Unallocated Space.

You can now choose to create a new /dev/sdc2, for Timeshift snapshots storage.

4. Right click in the Unallocated Space, and choose New, a popup window will appear. If you want 200 GB again -

5. Leave Space Before as zero, tab to the next field down and type in 204800 and press tab, the bottom field will be calculate as Unallocated Space remaining.

Leave it set to MiB, not cylinders, they are a relic from the past.

6. Right-hand side, leave the Partition as Primary, and the file type may be showing as EXT4, all and good. If it is showing as BTRFS, click beside it and change to EXT4. OK the changes, the operation pending will appear at bottom, and click the check mark icon at top to Apply All Operations.

If all of the above works,

7. You will have a new /dev/sdc2 - right-click it and choose Label, not Name. You'll get 11 to 16 characters to write a descriptive title, I just use Timeshift, or since I have 3 drives, Timeshift-WD for my Western Digital external drive. Operation pending will appear and OK the Apply Pending Operations.

Exit GParted.

We can then look at Timeshift and make adjustments to reflect the new regime.

Report back with any questions or outcomes.

Cheers

Wizard

Wiz,
That went smoothly. It is working right now. When it is finished, we'll know what was done. Timeshift renamed the drive /sdb1. Timeshift still called it dev/sdc2. With luck, it won't make a difference. The light on the external drive is working steadily.

Timeshift finished with the external drive. Couldn't find a backup file as in windows. But Timeshift app shows a snapshot available for restoring. Looks good to me!

When deleting old snapshots, suppose the first full snapshot is always kept? It is 16.5 GIB.

Do you recommend backing up home folder separately? Noticed Timeshift's default is to not include it in a snapshot.

Thanks a bunch!
jerry

Sounds promising to me, Jerry. I always like to see a Thread that I have had some involvement with, with "Solved" in it, irrespective of whether the OP solved it himself or whether my instructions helped :)

Mate what I will do is to copy your questions over to my Timeshift Thread

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

so that other Viewers can benefit, and I'll place a link to here for background.

See you there.

Wizard

BTW 1 - if you'd rather not wade through my Timeshift Thread to get the answers, the Post here is where it picks up with your issues

https://www.linux.org/threads/times...safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/post-93418

BTW 2 - you asked after my shoulder and I failed to answer. No, not rotator cuff. Totally smashed the shoulder - "multiple comminuted fractures, Right humeral head", and also smashed my hand so that the index and ring fingers don't straighten properly. Prognosis 12 months at least, of physio. Been 4 months next week.

Wiz

Members online