[Solved] Is Ubuntu compatibel with a Lenovo T430?

Lorz

Reaction score
Credits
I tried to install Ubuntu 16.04. and 20.04. on a T430 with 8 GB Ram and an i5 3380M 2x 2,90GHz, 64-Bit-System.
But every try I ended up on a purple screen, no error message, no reaction, no interaction. No idea, whats wrong. No solution found in forums.
So my question: Is there anybody who did it with the T430?

Have you tried nomodeset as a boot parameter?

Thanx to KGIII for your quick reaction. I could check that out. But I don't have much experience in changing parameters in bios. So before I try do something that might be too difficult for me and/or needs to spent hours (dealing with mistakes) to get done, I would like to have a "proof" whether it is really possible. That's why the way my question is. After having that proof, I not afraid of trying some kind suggestions.

Does the live usb/dvd boot? If so go to a terminal once your connected to the internet and install
inxi by issuing this command sudo apt install inxi once installed issue this command inxi -Fxz and post the result here. my t450 work great with Ubuntu and mint.

Press and hold the SHIFT key while it's booting, press F6, and then select it.

..OK, I don't get an answer. So I have to prove it myself. I know that's no good because it get really really angry when I don't understand something. But I'll try.. But how can I set "nomodeset"? And I read something about "grub menu". To get into grub menu there was said to press shift while starting - of course as usual - this doesn't work on my computer. I don't get into the grub menu. Is there a grub menu on every computer? ...I'm sorry I'm angry about all this. I would like to join "the linux" club but every way that works with everyone else doesn't work with my computer. That's so frustrating:mad:

Last edited:
you may find this interesting...
.ubuntubuzz.com/2020/12/lenovo-thinkpad-t430-to-boot-gnulinux-legacy-uefi.html

..OK, I don't get an answer. So I have to prove it myself. I know that's no good because it get really really angry when I don't understand something. But I'll try.. But how can I set "nomodeset"? And I read something about "grub menu". To get into grub menu there was said to press shift while starting - of course as usual - this doesn't work on my computer. I don't get into the grub menu. Is there a grub menu on every computer? ...I'm sorry I'm angry about all this. I would to join "the linux" but every way that works with everyone else doesn't work with my computer. That's so frustrating:mad:

you may find this interesting...
.ubuntubuzz.com/2020/12/lenovo-thinkpad-t430-to-boot-gnulinux-legacy-uefi.html
I read this. But how could that help me with problem of getting into the cruel purple screen with freezing ubuntu installation?

I never used linux. But I want to.

Ahhhh, I see the misunderstanding - it's not only that I haven't ubuntu installed - I even have NO Linux on my computer. I think all the good suggestion made are for that case I have anything linux installed and get a grub menu and stuff.
So is it a possible to install ubuntu without having linux installed (before)?

you can install your chosen distribution on any compatible box as long as it has a harddrive of some sort, just make sure when you make your DVD/Pendive for installing , that you use the correct procedure to burn a bootable image,check the md sum is the same and its a clean burn..

Solved the "problem".
First: there is a difference between the "overall purple screen"-problem (see attachment) und my "mascot on purple screen"-problem.
I'm ashamed for the solution to my problem: the was no freezen screen and no freezen installation.

The display connection of my t430 is broke (for several months) - I have to use an external display to use the t430. Using windows default is "duplicate mode" for the screen, no matter if it's win 7 or win 10 and a external monitor or a projector. I forgot about the other modes. Then my roommate came this evening and found out by 10 seconds that the mode was on extended screen. And the installation menu was on the dead screen of the t430. Finding the "overall purple screen"-problem in the internet let me believe that I have it too. After that trying to find grub menu without Linux made me more and more frustrated.
But in the end it was not worthless. After being successful in install ubuntu 21.04 I got the "overall purple screen"-problem and got solve it by setting "nomodeset" :) (see attach)

Attachments

• Bild_2021-05-16_230318.png
    Bild_2021-05-16_230318.png
    768.3 KB · Views: 397
  • Bild_2021-05-16_230403.png
    Bild_2021-05-16_230403.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 473
  • Bild_2021-05-16_230434.png
    Bild_2021-05-16_230434.png
    159.3 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:
Glad it's working for you :)