<SOLVED>Intallation Ubuntu based vs. Arch based issues

I'm learning and determined to master Linux!

An admirable ambition, but I am not sure that even Linus Torvalds has mastered his own creation :). Becoming "acquainted" with it is a good start, followed hopefully by "becoming comfortable" :D

We look forward to your continuing adventures.

Cheers

Wizard

An admirable ambition, but I am not sure that even Linus Torvalds has mastered his own creation :). Becoming "acquainted" with it is a good start, followed hopefully by "becoming comfortable" :D

We look forward to your continuing adventures.

Cheers

Wizard

Good point! I was at the aquatinted moving toward comfortable until this NVIDIA obstacle! But I’m still working!

Regrets I missed this one, Jeff you are possibly catching zzz's now if you are US-based :)

I have still to read the lniks, but on the face of it it is an interesting article.

On the Toshiba Satellite that's in the laundry (where I brew my beer), it is dual Nvidia/Intel, but I had a dedicated Acer AIO that was purely Nvidia before that, and I had ever so many probs with Nvidia, so I have been using Nouveau for around 4 years now.

Allegedly there are very few probs with Nouveau, other than a slight degradation in performance level if you are a Gamer, which I am not (apart from Solitaire, lol). I have certainly found that to be the case.

The Dell Inspiron I am writing from is new, and has AMD-Radeon, so that is another kettle of fish.

I'll take a few snaps from "Toshi" and come back to this thread with input.

Although as I write that, I am thinking that this is more for the content of a new Thread eg "Nvidia or Nouveau?", even though you have mentioned Nvidia from your first post.

Cheers

Wiz

Regrets I missed this one, Jeff you are possibly catching zzz's now if you are US-based :)

I have still to read the lniks, but on the face of it it is an interesting article.

On the Toshiba Satellite that's in the laundry (where I brew my beer), it is dual Nvidia/Intel, but I had a dedicated Acer AIO that was purely Nvidia before that, and I had ever so many probs with Nvidia, so I have been using Nouveau for around 4 years now.

Allegedly there are very few probs with Nouveau, other than a slight degradation in performance level if you are a Gamer, which I am not (apart from Solitaire, lol). I have certainly found that to be the case.

The Dell Inspiron I am writing from is new, and has AMD-Radeon, so that is another kettle of fish.

I'll take a few snaps from "Toshi" and come back to this thread with input.

Although as I write that, I am thinking that this is more for the content of a new Thread eg "Nvidia or Nouveau?", even though you have mentioned Nvidia from your first post.

Cheers

Wiz
That’s interesting because my laptop in question also has a dual Intel / Nvidia set up. I’m still baffled as to why only LM will install and since there’s no other difference between my 17.3 in and my 15.6 in laptops I’m assuming it’s the Nvidia card. I’ll be heading home (took the kids to the beach for a few days) and I think I may give Manjaro another attempt.

So, I had a revelation over the past few days... this entire new laptop situation has revealed to me how much I still need to learn regarding Linux operating systems! As I said I am committed to learning as much as I can given my limited free time and I am very appreciative for all the expert advice I have received on this forum so far and I will continue to read the boards and ask questions. I decided that since I am still a novice I am going to concentrate on the functioning system that I have (LM19 Cinnamon) and stop trying to run before I can walk! I have it up, running, and functioning well and I will dedicate my time to learning how Linux in general and Debian derivative systems work and get better at working within them! There is time in the future for me to start playing with more complex things once I get a better grip on the basics!

aWZkM0E.jpg

Well, I have to make a confession (since I am an incessant tinker-er and I really don't like the Cinnamon DE) I gave a Manjaro installation one last try and... IT WORKED! I used Gnome and was able to download and configure the Nvidia driver with the installation and I have the system up and running. BUT, now that I have the OS that I want I am sticking to my statement made in my last post and working on learning exactly how to use and use well one distro (it will be Arch based rather than Debian)!

Regarding the dual Intel/nVidia graphics card setup you have (aka nVidia Optimus) - you might want to take a look at this classic thread started by @ryanvade a few years ago.
https://www.linux.org/threads/nvidia-optimus-on-linux.8873/#post-25419

Nvidia's Optimus system allows you to switch between different graphics cards when running programs. So for example - you might want to use the Intel card by default - to save battery on your laptop and then only use the more power hungry nVidia card when running certain other games/applications.

Members online

Latest posts