<SOLVED>Intallation Ubuntu based vs. Arch based issues

the iso I used is:
antergos-nvidia-nozfs-18.7-x86_64.iso

Hi all, this for when Jeffrey is finished installing. (& good luck :))

The above Antergos is an unofficial version, albeit it is put out there by one Johannes "Joe" Kamprad, whom is both a Moderator and a mover at the Antergos Forum, but not its main developer. You may have got it from here - https://forum.antergos.com/topic/10378/new-nvidia-enabled-unofficial-antergos-iso-is-out

The official Antergos is named antergos-18.8-x86_64.iso . And is available from here https://antergos.com/try-it/ .

I am wondering if you had simply gone straight to the one that mentioned Nvidia because you had had problems with the other one, or how did you get onto it?

The sha512 hash check for that one is

1cc89a64383a381fedf3e702fd956041c90c328f977aaa35e6ed501ab09f5f50debd1645c3d6b3e2f1737257cbbb610888144e34ebac10a9e9c61a281432930f

Can I presume that you have downloaded the isos to a working version of Linux? Because you have not told me which one that is yet.

I'm just going to break off here as I see you have posted.

Wizard

So that's Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon and is it working now?

Wizard

aWZkM0E.jpg

Brilliant Choice !

That OS will serve you well for years to come.

Hi all, this for when Jeffrey is finished installing. (& good luck :))

The above Antergos is an unofficial version, albeit it is put out there by one Johannes "Joe" Kamprad, whom is both a Moderator and a mover at the Antergos Forum, but not its main developer. You may have got it from here - https://forum.antergos.com/topic/10378/new-nvidia-enabled-unofficial-antergos-iso-is-out

The official Antergos is named antergos-18.8-x86_64.iso . And is available from here https://antergos.com/try-it/ .

I am wondering if you had simply gone straight to the one that mentioned Nvidia because you had had problems with the other one, or how did you get onto it?

The sha512 hash check for that one is

1cc89a64383a381fedf3e702fd956041c90c328f977aaa35e6ed501ab09f5f50debd1645c3d6b3e2f1737257cbbb610888144e34ebac10a9e9c61a281432930f

Can I presume that you have downloaded the isos to a working version of Linux? Because you have not told me which one that is yet.

I'm just going to break off here as I see you have posted.

Wizard
Yes to above, that is where I got the ISO that I tried to install. I tried that one because of my issues w/ NVIDIA, it's so odd though, I have tried multiple installations tonight and all but the LM 19 Cinnamon, Lubuntu, and LM XFCE (sort of) wouldn't work. I almost wonder if this is a hard drive issue but that doesn't explain why some work and some don't :confused:. Anyway, I am up and running (for the moment) with LM 19 Cinnamon and despite my preference for KDE I am going to stay put (although I may install plasma to as a DE option).

I do have one other "newbie/novice" question though, how do I get my 1TB HDD to allow me to use it? If I recall I have to use a chown ?

I do have one other "newbie/novice" question though, how do I get my 1TB HDD to allow me to use it? If I recall I have to use a chown ?

If not a lot has changed since your inxi output you gave, then the 1TB is on /dev/sda

Try

Code:
ls -l /dev/sda

Those are lowercase L's ... to see what the permissions are and report them back here if you like.

If there is no data on the drive, then

Code:
sudo chown $USER:$USER /dev/sda

should make the whole drive readable/writable.

Gotta fly

Wizard

If not a lot has changed since your inxi output you gave, then the 1TB is on /dev/sda

Try

Code:
ls -l /dev/sda

Those are lowercase L's ... to see what the permissions are and report them back here if you like.

Code:

Gotta fly

Wizard
Thank you! I appreciate all of your input and assistance!

Try

Code:
ls -l /dev/sda

Code:

Gotta fly

Wizard
Code:
brw-rw---- 1 jlap4 jlap4 8, 0 Aug 30 04:22 /dev/sda

the chown command didn't work, but let me re - try I think I may have entered it incorrectly

Try

Code:
ls -l /dev/sda

Code:

Gotta fly

Wizard
If this helps...
Code:
jlap4@jlap4-X705UDR:~$ inxi -Fxs
System:    Host: jlap4-X705UDR Kernel: 4.15.0-33-generic x86_64
           bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.8 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu1)
           Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine:   Device: laptop System: ASUSTeK product: X705UDR v: 1.0 serial: N/A
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X705UDR v: 1.0 serial: N/A
           UEFI: American Megatrends v: X705UDR.306 date: 11/27/2017
Battery    BAT0: charge: 38.1 Wh 100.0% condition: 38.1/42.1 Wh (91%)
           model: ASUSTeK ASUS status: Discharging
           hidpp__0: charge: N/A condition: NA/NA Wh
           model: Logitech M720 Triathlon Multi-Device Mouse status: Discharging
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-8550U (-MT-MCP-)
           arch: Kaby Lake rev.10 cache: 8192 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 15936
           clock speeds: max: 4000 MHz 1: 1500 MHz 2: 2426 MHz 3: 2497 MHz
           4: 2176 MHz 5: 2467 MHz 6: 2370 MHz 7: 2367 MHz 8: 2485 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel UHD Graphics 620 bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: NVIDIA GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: modesetting,nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: [email protected]
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1050/PCIe/SSE2
           version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.48 Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-33-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: 4c:ed:fb:01:fa:f1
           Card-2: Realtek Device b822
           driver: r8822be port: c000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlp3s0 state: up speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: 80:c5:f2:05:e9:31
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1256.3GB (0.8% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST1000LM035 size: 1000.2GB temp: 37C
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: Micron_1100_MTFD size: 256.1GB temp: 42C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 234G used: 9.2G (5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb2
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 49.5C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:50C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 271 Uptime: 1:38 Memory: 2525.6/15923.3MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56

Hi Jeffrey :) - simple mistake, you read me too literally.

Run the command again, but replace the jlap's with $USER - best is to copy and paste my command. In Terminal you can Paste with Ctrl-Shift-v there is an extra step.

Thanks for the inxi output I will take a look at it

Cheers

Wizard

Hi Jeffrey :) - simple mistake, you read me too literally.

Run the command again, but replace the jlap's with $USER - best is to copy and paste my command. In Terminal you can Paste with Ctrl-Shift-v there is an extra step.

Thanks for the inxi output I will take a look at it

Cheers

Wizard
Hahaha, thankfully I’m not that much of a newbie! I tried it quickly a few times last night. I will try again and post.

Here is what I tried and it didn't work, please let me know if I wrote the code incorrectly
Code:
jlap4@jlap4-X705UDR:~$ ls -l /dev/sda
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 0 Aug 31 09:22 /dev/sda
jlap4@jlap4-X705UDR:~$ sudo chown $jlap4:$jlap4 /dev/sda
[sudo] password for jlap4:
jlap4@jlap4-X705UDR:~$

if I wrote the code incorrectly

Yep :D (my highlighting) but it's an easy mistake. If I wanted you to put in the jlap4 I'd put eg $<yourusername>.

So it is literally as I wrote it.

Code:

Cheers

Wizard

Might I ask the Wizard a questions? :D Do you know of any packages that can help with battery life?

Code:
jlap4@jlap4-X705UDR:~$ sudo chown $USER:$USER /dev/sda
[sudo] password for jlap4:
jlap4@jlap4-X705UDR:~$

It isn't appearing in my file system as an option?

It isn't appearing in my file system as an option?

That was just to give read-write permissions to the entire drive, which as I understand it is empty?

You are in Tara Cinnamon currently, is that so? Your file manager there is called Nemo, and you will need to set up some partitions in /dev/sda, the HDD before being able to use it.

Have you made the acquaintance of GNOME Partition Editor aka GParted yet? If it is not there

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install gparted

You cannot use GParted to manipulate the partition you are on, but to create, delete and resize/reformat partitions on other devices and partitions. There is a Manual there, under Help - Contents.

I make sure that GParted is installed, or install it on, every Distro I use. And although I like KDE, I install Gparted and prefer it over KDE's Partition Editor.

Actually, I note I asked you that question at #7, page 1.:confused::rolleyes:

We are straying somewhat off the track of your original Thread title, perhaps. It might be better if you start a couple of new Threads and title them appropriately to allow those helping to zoom in.

eg in Getting Started or General Linux - "Partitioning a 1TB internal HDD for data storage/Linux Distros".

At General Computing you could ask about battery life extenders.

BTW on #7 page 1, I made a blunder, I am headed there to fix it soon.

Cheers

Wizard

That was just to give read-write permissions to the entire drive, which as I understand it is empty?

You are in Tara Cinnamon currently, is that so? Your file manager there is called Nemo, and you will need to set up some partitions in /dev/sda, the HDD before being able to use it.

Have you made the acquaintance of GNOME Partition Editor aka GParted yet? If it is not there

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install gparted

You cannot use GParted to manipulate the partition you are on, but to create, delete and resize/reformat partitions on other devices and partitions. There is a Manual there, under Help - Contents.

I make sure that GParted is installed, or install it on, every Distro I use. And although I like KDE, I install Gparted and prefer it over KDE's Partition Editor.

Actually, I note I asked you that question at #7, page 1.:confused::rolleyes:

We are straying somewhat off the track of your original Thread title, perhaps. It might be better if you start a couple of new Threads and title them appropriately to allow those helping to zoom in.

eg in Getting Started or General Linux - "Partitioning a 1TB internal HDD for data storage/Linux Distros".

At General Computing you could ask about battery life extenders.

BTW on #7 page 1, I made a blunder, I am headed there to fix it soon.

Cheers

Wizard
Yes, I have gparted installed. It occurred to me that I had this problem in the past and I saved the code that fixed it! I went back through my files and found it and I am now able to see and write to the drive. It isn't automatically mounting on system reboot but I am able to manually mount and use the drive.

And yes, I agree this has strayed far from the original question (which I still haven't figured out, but right now I am just happy to have a functioning system)!

I will start a new thread for the battery life issues.

Thank you again!

That is wonderful news, Jeffrey, and good foresight with saving the code ;)

If you end up with Partitions on your /dev/sda eg /dev/sda1 , sda2, &c, and populate them with data and/or Linux, and then find a read-write issue, then you can repeat the command I listed earlier with an -R option eg

Code:
sudo chown -R $USER:$USER /dev/sda1

This will act Recursively down to sub-levels.

But we can deal with that if the need arises, in a new Thread.

Enjoy

Wizard

Thank you! I'm learning and determined to master Linux! My next project (once I get this NVIDIA issue settled) is to dual boot a few distros on this laptop... but I will start a new thread for this topic!

Members online