[SOLVED] How partition Mint 17.1 KDE for openSUSE data transfer via NAS clone?

M

MagnifiKat

Greetings from Ireland! What, please, is the best and safest procedure for transferring all files, configurations, preferences, downloads, etc, from our existing openSUSE 11.4 KDE to a brand new installation of Mint 17.1 KDE, using a Netgear 4-bay NAS as the intermediate back-up and cloning medium?

In particular, I shall appreciate very much receiving kind recommendations on the partitioning aspect of this task. Should the hard disc of our Mint installation PC be set up with THREE (3) partitions: namely /, /home and /boot? Also, whatever be the optimum partitioning, would Mint then partition and transfer data automatically from openSUSE 11.4 KDE via an NAS full clone in X-RAID2 mode? Please advise!

Many thanks, fellow penguins!

MagnifiKat
-----------------

Siemens “Esprimo” P5616 desktop | Fujitsu D2461-A12 micro-BTX mobo |
KDE 4.6.00 (4.6.0) "release 6" | Linux 2.6.37.6-24-desktop x86_64 |
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2·4GHz dual-core CPU | DVD SuperMulti |
1TB HDDs | 8GB DDR2-800MHz dual-channel RAM | nVidia MCP51 Ethernet |
nVidia GeForce 7300LE 256MB TrueMemory | openSUSE 11.4 (X86-64) |
Netgear ReadyNAS RN104 | 1·2GHz CPU | 512MB | OS 6.2.2 | X-RAID2 |

Last edited:

So sorry to note that no-one on this forum has been able help me with my above enquiry.

However, the good folks over on the Linux Mint forum have provided me the answers I was seeking. So, in order to assist folks maybe seeking an answer to their own similar installation problems, just go to the Linux Mint forum and search for "MagnifiKat" and/or "How partition Mint 17.1 KDE for NAS data transfer?".

I have tried to provide a direct route to my particular posting, but unfortunately (and most unhelpfully, since I am new on this site!), this website has frustrated my sincere attempt so to do. Cheers!

MagnifiKat

Members online

Latest posts