<SOLVED> HOW DO I SEARCH FOR LINUX PROGRAMS TO DOWNLOAD FROM THE COMMANDLINE????

smooth_buddha

Reaction score
Credits
Hey guys ive been getting into the linux command line. I installed a nice matrix code feature from command line

sudo apt-get install cmatrix
(run with command cmatrix)

I came across this goody in a top 100 linux commands article. anyways what I would like to know is how can search what other goodies and programs are available like this. is there a way to search a linux repository and seee whats available to install.

so far I can only install things if im given the "apt-get install name_of_program " command from somewhere online. are there linux servers that we can visit that store all these programs???? how do I enter the linux MATRIX??????

Last edited:

Hey guys ive been getting into the linux command line. I installed a nice matrix code feature from command line

sudo apt-get install cmatrix
(run with command cmatrix)

I came across this goody in a top 100 linux commands article. anyways what I would like to know is how can search what other goodies and programs are available like this. is there a way to search a linux repository and seee whats available to install.

so far I can only install things if im given the "apt-get install name_of_program " command from somewhere online. are there linux servers that we can visit that store all these programs???? how do I enter the linux MATRIX??????

Try with this
Code:
apt search keyword | less
change keyword for something else, i.e graphics or in your case "goodies". Apt will list everything matching your search criteria. You could also try this https://github.com/alexanderepstein/Bash-Snippets and have some fun reading here https://www.ostechnix.com/a-list-of-useful-console-services-for-linux-users/

Hope this helps! :)

thanks for this! much appreciated! im loving linux, its so vast, theres like a whole universe to explore within it!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts